Dunedin Travel Answers

change location
pdean14's Profile Photo

penguins

by pdean14 Online Now Dec 11, 2006 at 3:14 PM

We are on a coach trip and arrive in Dunedin in the evening and then have the morning free. Is it possible to get a trip to the penisular to see the penguins in this time.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • ricky52's Profile Photo

RE: penguins

by ricky52 Online Now Dec 11, 2006 at 3:27 PM

Maybe, but they won't be dancing!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Josilver's Profile Photo

by Josilver Online Now Dec 11, 2006 at 3:34 PM

Hi, Dunedin city bus offer tours to sea the penguins and the albatross colony 2.30pm every day these return at 6.45pm. I dont think they run in the morning, you may need to find another company. Have a look on the net. Sorry I cant be of more help. Jo

• Steve51's Profile Photo

by Steve51 Online Now Dec 11, 2006 at 4:23 PM

go here...
    cityofdunedin.com/city/?page... and search for tours

• allikat's Profile Photo

RE: RE: penguins

by allikat Online Now Dec 12, 2006 at 11:28 AM

The penguins spend the day at sea feeding - you get to see them when they come ashore at dusk.

• Josilver's Profile Photo

by Josilver Online Now Dec 12, 2006 at 3:23 PM

Actually, the Yellow eyed penguins come and go randomly throughout the day. YOu are pretty mcuh guaranteed to see them. we saw them at about 3pm

• pdean14's Profile Photo

by pdean14 Online Now Dec 12, 2006 at 11:53 PM

Thanks for all your replies. It will depend what time we get to Dunedin whether we will bw able to book an afternoon trip but I think it will be later as we are going on the train first. May be I will see penguins somewhere else in NZ. It is something I have always wanted to see,

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Dec 22, 2006 at 12:59 AM

Yes, there are many other places in NZ where you can see penguins. I have more information about penguins on my travel pages (Things to do).

With the yellow-eyed penguins you must be lucky to see them during the day. I have also seen them throughout the day several times but you cannot count on it. In the breeding season it happens rather often that they come to the beach at any time of the day.

There are some facilities where you can see penguins in captivity, for example Kelly Tarlton's in Auckland, or 18 little blue penguins in the Antarctic Centre in Christchurch. Although it is not the real thing the birds are still very cute, especially the little blues.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines