Dunedin Travel Answers

change location

Sushi in Dunedin?

by michkatz Online Now May 31, 2005 at 1:21 PM

I'm going to be living in Dunedin for about a year. I'm from Los Angeles so I am really used to great Sushi. Is there a good Sushi place you can recommend?

Any neighborhoods that would be good to rent a house in for a family of 3? My baby is going to be a year old in 2 weeks... so no places next to a lot of University students. I don't think they'd appreciate any night crying! LOL

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • batgirl1001's Profile Photo

RE: Sushi in Dunedin?

by batgirl1001 Online Now Jun 1, 2005 at 5:47 PM

On my way around South Island, did check on Dunedin and found a lot of international restaurants for such a small city. And yes a Japanese one too, on the main street. I will assume they have sushi....since 99% of Japanese restaurants do abroad.

I believe Dunedin is approaching to be as cosmopolitan as Christchurch and you can find all the major international restaurants like Chinese, Thai, Indian etc available.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: Sushi in Dunedin?

by noushymoo Online Now Jun 17, 2005 at 3:35 AM

I cant remember the name of the sushi place but for great-HUGE sub kind of sandwiches with great vegetarian (and non vege) fillings in a cute restaurant head to a place called Tull. For accomodation try for something up in north dunedin up the hill a little away from campus. Theres heaps of good cheap food around because of the students-I used to be one of them and had a great time there, but also a nice place for a small family-make sure you get out to the beach and up the top of the gardens is really nice on a hot day for a picnic and sunbathing and take your baby to see all the parrots and birds in the aviary.

Have fun!

• RE: Sushi in Dunedin?

by michkatz Online Now Jun 20, 2005 at 6:43 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I am here in Dunedin. It is very beautiful but very cold right now.
    And although there are many places with fantastic food, lots of comfort food, there is no sushi.

Lots of Japanese places with very good Japanese dishes but no raw fish. I've only found one that has some passable salmon sushi and one that has tuna. The rest is cooked fish :-(

I love Maori Hill, Roselyn and Halfway Bush as places to potentially live.

The people here are so nice and friendly

I just don't quite understand why they refused to build any houses with heat though? Must be the Scottish in them.. wanting to be back on the moors in kilts drinking cold beer?

Too tough for me! I'm getting a heat pump.

• RE: RE: Sushi in Dunedin?

by timr Online Now Mar 19, 2006 at 9:55 AM

OK this thread has got to be a joke. What do you mean you can't find raw fish in Dunedin. The (rather large) "Japanese Garden" on george st? in fact any of the about 10 japanese restaurants in Dunedin? It's called SASHIMI!!!!
    I don't think I have ever seen cooked fish (unless it's a dish like salmon teriyaki!!!) ... anyway hope you are enjoying dunedin, i lived there about 10 years. cheers

• RE: RE: Sushi in Dunedin?

by timr Online Now Mar 19, 2006 at 9:51 AM

doh i mean tokyo garden of course... but you know that

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines