Dunedin Travel Answers

change location

Univerisity of Otago

by talon726 Online Now Nov 18, 2004 at 9:31 PM

I'm a college student from the United States and I plan on spending next semester at the University of Otago. I'm a Chem major and I was mostly wondering how hard the course work is compared to American Univerisities. Mostly to arrange how many classes, papers, to take. Also, any other practical tips would be welcomed about NZ college life, or NZ in general. Thanks! :)

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Univerisity of Otago

by Kerikiwi Online Now Nov 18, 2004 at 11:09 PM

Just remember in NZ you will be a university student, not a college student. A college student is still in high school. :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JustAnotherTourist's Profile Photo

Re: Univerisity of Otago

by JustAnotherTourist Online Now Nov 19, 2004 at 2:58 PM

The thing you need to realize is that Otago uses a British-type format instead of semesters or quarters. That means that some classes will meet for the year with one huge final exam in November over the entire year! This can be quite challenging for those used to a fifteen-week semester. The depth of the material will be very similar, but the length of the course makes it much more difficult. Choose classes that meet for shorter lengths of time to break up the year, (you'll just have to search for them). The main thing to do if you are going to Dunedin is to plan to go for twelve months, so you can stay and tour around after the academic year. My suggestion would be to plan most of your extra time at the END of your year so you will have a chance to get a feel for things and to meet some people you might want to either travel with or meet up with along the way. Dunedin is a great place to tour from - you will be a short distance from some of the most magical places on the planet. Be sure to spend plenty of time in Fiordland - you won't regret it. Have a great trip.

• Re: Univerisity of Otago

by talon726 Online Now Nov 21, 2004 at 10:16 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines