Dundalk Travel Answers

change location
airkarat's Profile Photo

Carlingford to Dundalk

by airkarat Online Now Jan 15, 2007 at 9:10 AM

Our flight into Belfast was bumped ahead by one day, so we have a day and evening to spend somewhere within access of the *Dublin* airport where we fly out the next morning (need to be at the airport by 10am).

We will be relying on public transport, and were looking for a smaller town with friendly locals and charm, and are interested in staying in Carlingford. The morning bus doesn't put us in Dundalk in time to catch the express bus to the airport (@ 8:30am). Any idea of what a taxi would cost from C to D? The alternative would be to take the Aircoach out of Newry around the same time - what would a taxi fare be for C to N?

I hesitate to ask two more questions because they seem silly, but here goes:

Depending on weather, and since our inbound flights put us at Belfast International airport at an ungodly 5:10am, we were thinking of hopping on a train and doing a quick tour (bus drive) of the north Antrim coast. Doing so would delay our arrival in Carlingford to @ 5pm which in January will be after dark. Likewise, leaving Carlingford at 8am would be before sunrise. Silly question #1: is Carlingford 'pretty' at night - are the ruins lit up? Will it be worth traveling off the beaten track for an evening there? We will be tired, but Scott would like to have a traditional pub meal and some Guinness and conversation.

Of course if the weather is not conducive to touring the coast then we will be in Carlingford much earlier!

Silly question #2: Scott thinks that the only place to buy Guinness merchandise is the Guinness storehouse in Dublin - hats, sweaters (jumpers), etc. I would imagine that these things are prevalent throughout Ireland like our Molson Canadian stuff is here in Canada. If so, are there any place to avoid paying 'tourist' prices?

Any other suggestions?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • kbr61263's Profile Photo

RE: Carlingford to Dundalk

by kbr61263 Online Now Jan 15, 2007 at 12:15 PM

you can get guiness stuff lots of places in UK, not just ireland. I guess it will be a bit more expensive and a bit less choice in the airports, but I dont imagine the guiness brewery is even the cheapest

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Carlingford to Dundalk

by slysaght Online Now Aug 25, 2008 at 8:23 AM

Carlingford is lovely all year round the ruins are lit up at night. the cost of a taxi from Carlingford to either Dundalk to Newry would be about €30-40 heading to Dundalk and stg£20-30 to Newry. The best place to get your Guiness stuff is at Dublin Airport duty free would be the best value.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines