Dun Laoghaire

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• How to divide time between Killarney and Doolin

County Kerry Nov 10, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Coming with family group of 5 the end of next May coming and going from Dublin with 8 nights in Ireland. Have learned of the Killarney Bikefest happening June 3rd-6th (know about the June 1st holiday also), so am thinking we should go immediately to Killarney or wherever we decide to stay in the area on the day we arrive (May 28th at 10:00am from direct 8 hour flight). Here are my questions:

1) Are there one way train tickets going to Killarney from Dublin? (I know I can't catch the train directly at airport).
      2) Are the autos large enough for 5 adults plus luggage quite hard to find for rental? My search seems to have found them for rent from Killarney but not Dublin, which is puzzling.
      3) How long will it take to drive from the Dublin airport to Killarney on a Saturday? Is that manageable after a long flight? (FYI we are in our mid-50's, so not used to all nighters anymore, but hope to sleep on the plane).
      4). Is it better to stay in Killarney to see Ring of Kerry and Killarney Nat'l Park or stay in Kenmare or further around the ring? And how much would that add to the drive from Dublin? Note we have three 20-something "kids" with us so we want to have a mix of Irish immersion and some fun for them as well on the trip. It is actually a graduation present for two of them, but they love the nature, history, and exploring culture.
      5) We have been intrigued by the idea of staying in a castle and it looks like Ballyseede might be not far off the track between the ROK area and Doolin/Corofin. Do you consider this a worthwhile side trip?
      6) Assuming we have 6 nights to spend outside of Dublin, how would you advise dividing the time between the area around Killarney NP (we love nature and plan to hike) and the area near Doolin or Corofin to give us time to do the Doolin Cliff walk, tour some of the antiquities and nature in the Burren? This include thoughts about that castle stay I mentioned as one night in the middle.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions please?

Thanks so much!

• Shannon2015's Profile Photo

Travelling around

Shannon Nov 20, 2015 at 7:45 AM

Hi I am planning to visit Shannon tomorrow and I was wondering how easy is it to travel around without a car. Especially to the Cliffs of Moher?

• roamer61's Profile Photo

Galway or Kilarney

Ireland Oct 29, 2015 at 6:07 AM

Which would be a better (if you can say that), for a couple of days and see the scenery and sites with day tours?

• Things to do at Dun Laoghaire Port?

by tippismom Online Now Jun 21, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Hi all -

I will be at Dun Laoghaire Port for a day. Are there things to do within walking distance or should I travel out of the area?

Thanks for any responses.

10 Answers Jun 21, 2015 at 4:28 PM
    • Transportation

by PKlancher Online Now Aug 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM

We are landing at the Dublin airport in September and have lodging in Dun Laoghaire; how to we get there?

13 Answers Aug 19, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    • coloradopair's Profile Photo

by coloradopair Online Now Apr 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM

We are coming to Ireland next month for a hiking tour through the Wicklow Mtns. Before the hiking begins we have 3 days "free". We were thinking of staying in Dun Laoghaire those days - easy access to Dublin without the costly lodging and close enough to Wicklow for the hiking tour.

Two questions:
      - What is public transportation from Dublin Airport?
      Suggestions on lodging?

10 Answers May 14, 2013 at 5:11 AM
    • janetmt's Profile Photo

Self catering locations

by janetmt Online Now Mar 9, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Hi there,
      I am travelling to Ireland with my husband and two children, ages 2 and 10. We are looking for a cottage/self-catering place where we can tour Meath etc. but still have easy access to Dublin without having to drive into the city. Do you know of any cottage/self catering places to rent?
      With thanks,

4 Answers Mar 10, 2011 at 5:04 AM
    • mtstranscribe's Profile Photo

Seal watching

by mtstranscribe Online Now Oct 22, 2008 at 6:24 PM

My daughter, mom, and I are visiting the Dublin area in March and staying in Dun Laoghaire. We only have 3 days. I would love to see the seals. Is there a good place in Dun Laoghaire to see them, and if so how do I get there?

3 Answers Oct 22, 2008 at 6:51 PM
    • Searching for a contact email address for the owners of Teddys ice cream

by icypop11 Online Now Dec 2, 2007 at 9:02 AM

As it says above, i am trying to track down the owners of Teddys ice cream..I know the familys name,which is Hamid-Khan,Fathers name is Brian, the daughters name is Yasmin,and the youngest boys name is Haniff..I am hoping to get in touch with them regarding, a future trip,over from here in Australia.....Can anyone help me at all,,,,thanks.

1 Answer Dec 2, 2007 at 9:14 AM
    • Who owns Teddys????

by icypop1 Online Now Jul 26, 2007 at 7:32 AM

Can anyone please tell us people here downunder in oz,if the Khan family still own Teddys ice cream shop???????