Dumbleton Travel Answers

change location

Heathrow/Dumbelton

by Dbozz Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I'll be arriving at Heathrow and would like to go to Dumbelton Hall directly by public transportation. Is this possible?
Thanks,
Don

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • shrimp56's Profile Photo

Re: Heathrow/Dumbelton

by shrimp56 Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Since it's near Evesham, you can catch the Paddington Express from Heathrow then take the train from Paddington to Evesham. I would contact the hotel about their pickup options

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Not really. The main problem is that Dumbleton only has buses on Thursdays and Saturdays on the route from Cheltenham. I am not sure how far the Hall is from the village. The timetable is here - worcestershirebus.info/timet....
    I think the best way is this. Heathrow to central London by either London Underground, Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect. Then from Paddington mainline ( also where Heathrow Connect and Heathrow Express arrive) take a Worcester bound train and get off at Moreton in the Marsh. From here it would have to be a taxi - this is 12 miles and I estimate a taxi would be £15 to £20.
    If you use the Cheltenham possibility you would also take a Cheltenham train from Paddington - in some cases you need to travel Paddington to Swindon and change there for Cheltenham.
    Please ask if you need any further help.

3 members found this helpful

• Re: Heathrow/Dumbelton

by Dbozz Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Many thanks for the information! Another thought I had is to take a train to the closest town (Morten-On-Marsh, Oxford, Bath?, etc.) to Dumbelton and rent a bike to get to DH. Is that a possibility? My concerns would be steep hills and distance. I’d also rent a car from one of the smaller towns that a train goes to but wouldn’t want to risk driving from Heathrow or London. I’m in the US and am used to driving on the right, which is why a bike would be my first choice. Lastly, wherever I end up going, I’d like to leave directly from the airport and not have to go into London (Paddington) first. Is there a bus or train that goes from Heathrow to the Cotswolds?

Anyway, thanks for putting up with all of my questions. I’m truly glad I found Virtual Tourist online.

Best Regards,
    Don Bozick

by Britannia2 Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 1:18 AM

No direct transportation from Heathrow - you have to go into London and out again. I will check your bike idea for you later today.

1 member found this helpful

by Dbozz Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Thanks for your answers Shrimp and Britannia. I got an answer from Dumbleton Hall today also and they suggested a train from Paddington to Eversham,which is about 6 miles away from Dumbelton (about 46 Brit. Pounds rt)....then take a taxi. I might even feel comfortable enough to rent a car since it's only an 18 minute drive. It's the roundabouts that concern me most, however. Does anyone know when entering a roundabout, if you circle to the left (clockwise) and stay in the outer, left, lane or go to the right (counter clockwise) and stay in the inner left lane? Will there be traffic going around in two different directions?
    Thanks four your help!
    Don (Dbozz)

by Britannia2 Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 3:39 AM

I now agree Evesham is the best place to get the train to. For car hire in Evesham look at - www2.atlaschoice.com/carhire...
    There are three trains each hour from Paddington to Oxford where you change for Evesham (the train will be going to Worcester and it has a light refreshment facility on board). Oxford to Evesham is only one train per hour. To plan your journey go to - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
    More answers later.

by Britannia2 Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 3:56 AM

There are just two roundabouts between Evesham and Dumbleton - I have just 'made'the journey on Google Earth. The first is in Evesham and the second as you leave Evesham.
    The second is a large one but basically as you drive towards the roundabout the road splits in to two lanes (at the second roundabout) - there is a road sign on the left before a roundabout telling you which lane to go in and which exit to take.
    As you approach the roundabout slow down and almost stop and look right - if there is traffic stop and wait , otherwise pull on to the roundabout and keep left. When you see your exit indicate left and exit. Not easy - my Dutch friends had awful problems on their first visit here but I have never had any problems in Majorca or Menorca (Spain) where they have roundabouts and drive on the right as you do.
    The route from Evesham to Dumbleton is here - theaa.com/route-planner/clas...
    Its from the town centre and not the car hire office but I am sure the car hire is somewhere near Vine Street where this journey starts.
    My advice overall - take a taxi!

by Britannia2 Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Sorry wrong link above for the route - its theaa.com/route-planner/clas...

1 member found this helpful

by Dbozz Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Brittania,
    You have been a huge help in explaining the roundabout system and after hearing such specifics, I agree with you about taking a taxi!
    Dbozz

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines