Düsseldorf Travel Answers

change location
baron1970's Profile Photo

Where to stay for Gelsenkirchen Stadium?

by baron1970 Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Hi..
We are coming for Schalke Galatasaray game. I was told Dusseldorf is the most convenient city for lodging when you want to see a Schalke game. What is the best way for transportation from Dusseldorf to Gelsenkirchen Stadium? Is there a better option for us to choose our hotel? We will be spending 2 days wherever we stay, so please tell me the best city (if not the hotel) in terms of offering fun and convenience in terms of getting to the stadium. Thanks...

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Where to stay for Gelsenkirchen Stadium?

by xymmot Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I went out there for the world cup in 2004 and most of the hotels were full, so we looked on a hostel site and found a spot just outside of Gelsenkirchen. Had no idea about the town, but had a blast before and after the game. Transportation we took a bus to the centre town and our return we caught a cab. I would just go on line and find a hotel in the city and walk to the staduim, if not, do what we did and commute. Great sports town.

cheers tommy s

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Schalke is a suburb of Gelsenkirchen, hence Gelsenkirchen is the nearest city. Also Essen (which I consider a lot more interesting than Düsseldorf), Bochum and Oberhausen would be notably closer and more convenient.

• charlesracine's Profile Photo

by charlesracine Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Hello, We have stayed in both Essen and Duesseldorf. Essen is certainly closer and easier to get to the game and Dusseldorf would be about an hour travel using the Reinbahn. But, other than the travel time has a lot to offer too.
    duesseldorf.de/en/index.shtm...

• charlesracine's Profile Photo

by charlesracine Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Regarding Duesseldorf, when I have stayed there, we saty at Hotel LIndenhof on Ost Strasse across the street from a great bar, Schumacher Brewery. It is about a 4 block walk to the main train station / HbF in a nice area. Lindenhof price was approx. 60 Euro per night for two with a good breakfast.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Düsseldorf