Düsseldorf Travel Answers

change location
mtwohig's Profile Photo

Train from Dusseldorf Airport

by mtwohig Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM

We will be arriving at the Dusseldorf Airport (Friday, April 26,2013 at 7:00). How much time should I allow, to get from the plane, pick up baggage, through customs and taking the Sky Train to the Dusseldorf Flughafen? Is two hours enough time? I

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: Train from Dusseldorf Airport

by gwened Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 8:19 AM

plenty of time, dont worry about it. I have done it in 1h30. Cheers

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I used to fly in and out of there every few weeks. The airport is not all that large and reasonably fast to get through. Two hours is lots of time. I've done it in as little as an hour.

If a lot of large flights land at the same time, things can be a bit slow.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM

The sy train departs 8 times per hour and the ride is under 10 minutes. See: dus-int.de/dus_en/b_skytrain...

PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

• mtwohig's Profile Photo

by mtwohig Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Thanks for the link. Do you happen to know the cost of the Sky Train ?

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 12:20 PM

A single way journey ticket is Euro 2.50. (Found that at: http://212.66.132.216/tvr/vrr/cgi/).

PJ

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 4:37 PM

EUR 2,50 is a single ticket VRR price level A (= any trip inside one city). Not completely wrong, but for the SkyTrain a short-range ticket is already sufficient, which is EUR 1,50.

This is mentioned here duesseldorf-international.de...

The SkyTrain counts tariff wise like a tram inside the VRR and this ride falls under the rules for a short-range ticket.

Note that depending on your destination and what train ticket you will buy / have bought to get there the SkyTrain may be also already included.

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 2:49 AM

abalada wrote: EUR 2,50 is a single ticket VRR price level A (= any trip inside one city). Not completely wrong, but for the SkyTrain a short-range ticket is already sufficient, which is EUR 1,50.

This is mentioned here duesseldorf-international.de...

The SkyTrain counts tariff wise like a tram inside the VRR and this ride falls under the rules for a short-range ticket.

Note that depending on your destination and what train ticket you will buy / have bought to get there the SkyTrain may be also already included.

Thanks for the clarification. I did a lot of reading on the VRR website, but the skytrain was not mentioned. I just looked at the ticket help going from the Flughafen Terninal A/B/C to Flughafen Bahnhof. That came with a price of Euro 2.50. I only have personal experience with parking my car and getting a free skytrain ride with the parking ticket. 

PJ

• mtwohig's Profile Photo

by mtwohig Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Thank you for the information. First of all, I bought tickets on-line through the bahn.de website and they don't have information about the Airport SkyTrain. Tickets purchased: Dusseldorf Flughafen to Duisburg then, an ICE train with reserved seats Duisburg Hbf to Ultrecht departs at 09:26 With a flight arrival time, from JFK, of 07:00, I am now having second thoughts; that I did not allow enough time.

Yes, I found this information at the Airport's website(below), but they don't mention the cost : "Passengers who do not have one of these tickets(above) are required to obtain a short-range fare ticket in order to ride on the SkyTrain (or on substitute buses). Ticket vending machines are located at the SkyTrain stations. When using the SkyTrain, the fares and transport terms and conditions of the Verkehrsverbundes Rhein-Ruhr (VRR) transport association apply." However, I did not want to be unprepared; not having the right change for the ticket vending machine and being in a hurry.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Well I was told always to use the sky train etc etc before going there. then my German collegues when ask about it told me to take a taxi, and I did 21€ nice ride much more expensive yes. I rather have a car ::)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Düsseldorf