Dubrovnik Travel Answers

change location
Gili_S's Profile Photo

Dubrovnik recommendations

by Gili_S Online Now Mar 4, 2010 at 3:58 AM

A-Any recommendations for good 4-5 star hotel with swimming pool and in good location where we can walk to most old town places?
B-Car rental company for 1-2 days trip and where should we drive?
C-Is standard EU driving licence valid in Croatia or should I get International Driving Licence?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Re: Dubrovnik recommendations

by TheWanderingCamel Online Now Mar 4, 2010 at 7:16 AM

The Hilton is very nice and is the only hotel fitting your requirements within just a couple of minute's walk of the old town. I've stayed there quite recently and would be happy to do so again.

Your EU licence is all you need. You will need to check with your car hire company about crossing borders - not all companies allow it.

Mostar and maybe on to Sarajevo in Bosnia i Hercegovina is another interesting side trip you could do from Dubrovnik - 1 day would be fine for Mostar, also stopping at the artist's village of Pocitelj on the way. Driving on to Sarajevo you would need at least another day, preferably 2.

You could do one day to Mostar and one to Montenegro - the Bay of Kotor is spectacular.

Another option is the Peljesac Peninsula, 60km north of Dubrovnik and some 60 km long. Walled Ston and Mali Ston are just 2 of the towns on the Peninsula, both worth a stop, and you could drive on to Oribec and take the ferry across to Korcula.

More information on some of these options -
    Croatia Off The Beaten Path Tips by TheWanderingCamel

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Gili_S's Profile Photo

by Gili_S Online Now Mar 5, 2010 at 6:44 AM

Thank you all for the useful tips and information.
    Noted been taken and I will sort those out.
    Yes, Montenegro was first on my mind as well as Serbia and Bosnia.
    Will see how much I can catch in a week.
    The Hilton is good option and will use it for couple of days with the special offer I get as a member + point on Finnair :)
    So I see that standard driving licence is ok and you already answer my next question about cross border driving with rental car.
    Last question left is: How long is the border check procedures? In Africa I had those rather quick with no hassle and in the old days in the Baltic it was quick as well, so how is it down there in general? (I ask because here in Finland if we want to drive to Russia, we plan loooong delay at the border or not driving at all :))

by TheWanderingCamel Online Now Mar 5, 2010 at 6:48 AM

We've never had more than the most perfunctory stops at the borders with Montenegro and BiH. The first time we hired a car to do this we were told we could not take the car in to Serbia, don't know if that is still the case.

• KristaB's Profile Photo

by KristaB Online Now Mar 12, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I've rented from Avis, booked in advance, the car was brand new and ready as we landed.

I would warmly recomend Mali Ston, just off the road from Dubrovnik, 50 km towards Split, because this area is famous for superb oysters and other delicacies - restaurants Kapetanova kuca and Koruna are excellent! really worth stopping by, and you can stretch your legs by climbing the nearby fortress wall, great views. You can also stop by oyster farms, there is always someone supervising the farm and selling absolutely fresh oysters, which are famous for their mild and milky taste and gentle texture, not rubbery at all.

The next Must See from my own experienc would be Neretva river delta, actually the channels with orchards and wildlife, gorgeous, we went on a boat safari, ate local delicacies are frogs legs and eel, and they also have an abundance of fresh fish and vegetables - it is one of the most fertile pieces of land in Croatia. more here:
    http://www.neretva.info/

by TheWanderingCamel Online Now Mar 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I'd second the Neretva delta, much neglected by visitors to Croatia, imo, and barely cracking a mention in guidebooks. Having driven through it, and crossed it by train, Krista's suggestion of a boat safari through the channels is definitely on my list for our next visit to Croatia.

The Hotel Ostria in Mali Ston is charming, and all you have to do after dinner inn the excellent restaurant is walk across the carpark aand upstairs to your room, unlike those who drive up from Dubrovnik who have to drive back 60km.

• Re: Dubrovnik recommendations

by darkob Online Now Mar 29, 2010 at 11:45 AM

If you would go for 5 star hotel, I would suggest to you Grand Villa Argentina, they are just a short walk from the Old Town of Dubrovnik, they have swimming pool and amassing view.

As for 4 star, Miro Studio Apartments are right in the city centre, they don't have swimming pool, but if you are looking something close to centre, this is perfect. More info on hotels you can find here:

Miro Studio - dubrovnikonlinehotels.com/mi...

Grand Villa - dubrovnikonlinehotels.com/gr...

Have a nice time mate

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines