Dublin Travel Answers

change location
mydreamquest's Profile Photo

London to Dublin

by mydreamquest Online Now Feb 7, 2008 at 4:08 PM

So I'll be on a plane from San Francisco to London. I get off at London and make it thru customs. How long will it take for me to get to Dublin from there and how much should I budget if I'm to take another plane? Are flights to Dublin from London every hour on the hour?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • athenrycanadian's Profile Photo

Re: London to Dublin

by athenrycanadian Online Now Feb 7, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Hi There,

There are lots of flights from London to Dublin daily. I believe it's just under a hour flight. Check www.ryanair.com. You can find flights on Ryan Air for 0.1 but with taxes, luggage and fees it usually works out to around 30 - 40 euro/give or take. U didn't mention which airport in London that you were flying into but you should have no problem. Another Cheap Airline to check is www.xl.com Hope this helps u out. Try a google "cheap airlines london to dublin".

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Feb 7, 2008 at 6:47 PM

I would assume that you are flying into Heathrow so probably your best bet will be to fly Aer Lingus to Dublin as they go from Heathrow. You may have to change terminals and the walk is pretty long but the flights go every hour. You can book Aer Lingus online and the earlier you book the cheaper your fare will be.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 7, 2008 at 10:53 PM

Flights to Dublin do not function like buses so no, there is not one 'on the hour every hour'. It's a popular route but not one which is intended for daily commuters.

Flights are, however, fairly frequent.

From London Heathrow you can investigate www.bmi.com and www.aerlingus.com

From London Gatwick you can investigate www.ba.com, Aer Lingus and www. ryanair.com (15kg hold baggage limit for the latter).

If you have hold baggage you should allow at least an hour to collect it and get through immigration/customs and a further 2 hours to check-in (both airports are large and can be very busy). Check-in closes 30/40 minutes before the flight and you will get no leeway with budget carriers (and no refund). It is therefore better to allow more rather than less time: you can always have a cofee/beer whilst you are waiting.

Whichever you choose book as early as you can for the cheapest fares: there are no last-minute offers for UK flights.

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo

by CliffClaven Online Now Feb 7, 2008 at 11:34 PM

London is served by four airports: five, if Luton is included. Flights to Dublin are provided by Air France (from London City), BMI (Heathrow), Aer Lingus (Gatwick and Heathrow), British Airways (Gatwick) and Ryanair (Gatwick, Stansted and Luton).

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

by sourbugger Online Now Feb 8, 2008 at 12:38 AM

an hour is ample to get through - we don't tend to employs thugs with IQ's of baked bean cans on immigration - unlike some other countries I could mention.

If it is not already booked then you might find in cheaper than easier to go via Air lingus to Dublin (probably by boston / ny)

If you really must fly San franciso to London Heathrow (I presume) then you can get flights. Remember that you will have to change terminals and allow the usual 2 hours to check in etc. I would strongly suggest that if you travel in 'cattle class' that you get a nights sleep at a airport hotel and take a morning flight out.

Air lingus are often very reasonale - but check the others on expedia.co.uk or opodo.co.uk. reckon on about 50 pounds or so as a guide. Low cost airlines go from other airports - but you have to get to stansted or luton, so you will probably lose and saving with transferring.

hope this is useful. have a great trip.

• stevefrancyclancy's Profile Photo

by stevefrancyclancy Online Now Feb 8, 2008 at 2:01 AM

Welcome to dublin, cead mile failte and all that. if you are jsut looking to book london to dublin as others have said it really depends on what airport you are coming from. I used to make this trip every 2 weeks and always found either BMIBaby.com or ryanair tyo have most reasonable fares. aer lingus occasionally too. flights are not quite every hour but not far off. have a great time any questions on dublin feel, free to pop me a mail

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines