Dublin Travel Answers

change location
MartyAP's Profile Photo

Aer Lingus - How are they???

by MartyAP Online Now Aug 10, 2007 at 5:57 PM

I need a one way flight to Rome and Aer Lingus offers a reasonable fare from JFK to FCO via DUB. How are they.....reliable, clean, safe,etc.?? Usually fly AA or BA but there is a significant fare differential.

Thanks,
Karen

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • zone_de_guerre's Profile Photo

Re: Aer Lingus - How are they???

by zone_de_guerre Online Now Aug 10, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Aer Lingus are the Irish national carrier and are perfectly safe, from my experience with them (flew to Frankfurt and Lisbon with before), the seatrs are comfortable, staff are nice and luggage is looked after. Other airlines that fly into Rome are Ryanair (some hate them but what you pay for is what you get) and Alitalia the Italian national carrier.

BTW Cheers for the question, its 3.30am and I was looking for something to do ! Hpe the info helps :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nhoolb's Profile Photo

by nhoolb Online Now Aug 10, 2007 at 11:02 PM

You can check on:
    www.airlinequality.com

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Aug 11, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Aer Lingus are perfectly OK. I flew with them to Galway and it most enjoyable (I found their staff extremely friendly and courteous).

• zone_de_guerre's Profile Photo

by zone_de_guerre Online Now Aug 11, 2007 at 7:06 AM

I think that was Aer Arran you flew with leics!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Aug 11, 2007 at 7:11 AM

O .....so it was! I blame too much time spent in a muddy trench, obviously destroys brain cells...........:-(

However, Aer Lingus are perfectly fine, I'm sure. and if they are as friendly as Aer Arrann you'll have a most pleasant trip (albeit without the propellors!).

• Wiley_Coyote's Profile Photo

by Wiley_Coyote Online Now Aug 11, 2007 at 7:57 AM

i'm not sure how their transatlantic flights work, but i was just on a dublin-venice flight recently. it's seemed to be pretty much a low cost carrier. i'd say on par with probably southwest or easyjet...maybe a tad bit better than ryanair. but they do fly into main airports and not in the middle of nowhere as is the case with a lot of low cost carriers in europe.

there were a few nickle and dime things i found a bit odd about how aer lingus (being the national carrier) operated. one was the fact that when you buy your ticket online they give you the option of paying in your home currency...and if you do the math on what they charge and what it should be, they're clearly exploiting the exchange rate in their favor and making more than a few extra bucks on this transaction. another point was that i was a bit surprised that i had to pay to check in baggage..i didn't think any national carriers actually charged for that these days...it was only 10 euros, but still, i was a little bothered at the principle (though they may not charge for transatlantic flights...who knows...ask them). then there's a mysterious 'handling' fee of 6 euros...ok, it's only 6 euros, but what is it? and being an electronic ticket, what are they handling in the first place.

in the end, even after all these it's still a little cheaper than other carriers, but i would treat that significant fare difference with some scrutiny.

also, i'm not sure how much you fly nor if this affects you, but aer lingus has pulled out of pretty much all frequent flyer alliances with other airlines...and not being able to earn any miles on long-haul flights is an issue for me. i'd much rather spend the extra100 and get the 6K miles for the return trip on another airline.

• kierk1's Profile Photo

by kierk1 Online Now Aug 14, 2007 at 5:13 PM

The pilots may be going on strike so keep an eye on developments!

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Oct 26, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Gene....ahhhh.....Pilots on strike? I'll keep an eye out. My wife just found out she has to be in Dublin by Monday and has booked a Sunday flight from SFO on Aer Lingus. Hopefully they don't strike until she gets there. At least she can enjoy some descent Guinness.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines