Dublin Travel Answers

change location
silasm's Profile Photo

Traveling to Dublin for Christmas

by silasm Online Now Nov 28, 2003 at 1:29 PM

Hello, I am considering traveling to Dublin from Dec 24 to Dec 29th. I have been to Dublin before but never on such a holiday. Can you tell me if this is a stupid idea for someone who wants to go to the Pubs and drink and talk with people and go to clubs to dance at night? Is the city closed on Christmas day? I will be coming from Virginia USA. I will travel with one friend. Any information would be helpful. Thanks a million, Silas

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • challenger's Profile Photo

Re: Traveling to Dublin for Christmas

by challenger Online Now Nov 28, 2003 at 3:39 PM

Stupid idea to go to Dublin to go drinking, dancing and talking? Not at all! :-) Christmas Day will be a challenge alright (though I do believe that some few places may be open), but you should have no problem on any of the other days. Depending on where you plan on staying you may even meet other travellers for an impromptu Christmas party at your hostel or hotel. Holger

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • silasm's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Traveling to Dublin for Christmas

by silasm Online Now Nov 28, 2003 at 8:01 PM

Holger, Thank you. I thought it might be possible to find some place to have fun. Now I know to be sure to have my Vodka before Christmas Eve. I just needed a sanity check. I do appreciate your insight. Cheers! Silas

• orlikins's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Traveling to Dublin for Christmas

by orlikins Online Now Nov 29, 2003 at 8:23 AM

Pubs are closed Christmas day, am presuming you're booking a hotel, so when you're booking accomodation you could ask if the hotel will keep their bar open for guests or something. Otherwise, buy some booze at dutyfree and save in your room! :-) St Stephens night (dec26th), all the pubs will be open again, its so much fun!! :-) Orla

• Ken-out-of-Bath's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Traveling to Dublin for Christmas

by Ken-out-of-Bath Online Now Aug 18, 2006 at 2:33 AM

You will be fine!

3 years ago I went Dublin on my own at Christmas time. I had never been before and I was en route to visit my sister and her family in the West of Ireland.

I met loads of great people, lots of Irish (obviously) and two lovely girls on holiday from Athens! We all had a great time in Club M (cheesey, I know but great fun)!

Dublin is a party town on any night of the week but the place was brilliant over the Christmas holidays!

I almost never went to see my sister!

Book your room early!

Hotel St George in Parnell Square was fine - walking distance from the fun but not too close so that you can't sleep at night. Phone +353 (874) 5611

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines