Dublin Travel Answers

change location

Cliff of Moher

by sbmmava Online Now Jul 30, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Hello VTs,
we are vising Dublin end of August, we will be renting car for two/three days. We would like to visit two main places one is Cliff of Moher and other one is Gaint causeway. My question is on the way to Cliff of Moher can we take a short deviation and see any tourist attractions. Please suggest some ,so if we can accommdate we will ,other wise we will just go towards our destination.
My other question - is it better to come back to Dublin area to go towards Gaint causeway or just go north from Galaway to Bushmills area? roads don't look like interstate highways in that direction, it might take longer right?
Please suggest some other interesting spots we can see in a close distance we will try to accommdate in the time we have .
We will have to see how the weather will be during end of august, hopefully it will not rain.
Thanks in advance for your wonderful suggestions.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: Cliff of Moher

by grandmaR Online Now Jul 30, 2011 at 6:48 PM

I don't think you will have time for anything else. Those things are at opposite ends and different countries. I'd advise taking a tour from Dublin to Giant's Causeway, and then rent a car and drive to the cliffs.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Jul 30, 2011 at 10:35 PM

I would suggest that you continue on from the Cliffs to the Giant's Causeway. It will take you through some wonderful places in the west of Ireland and although, you won't have time to stop very often along the way, it is still doable and will certainly be enjoyable. Have a great time.

• annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

by annemariebyrne Online Now Jul 31, 2011 at 2:57 AM

You say that you are visiting Dublin but the two places you want to see are very far away from Dublin. Also you don’t mention how many days you will actually be in the country. Perhaps it would be better to reconsider your plans and do either: 1) a tour of Ireland, taking in the places you mention and several others or 2) A visit to Dublin with some day trips to attractions that are within easy distance of the city.
    If you decide to tour Ireland the best option would be to hire a car at Dublin airport and head north on the M1 straight away; approx. 3 and a half hours will get you to the Giant’s Causeway, after your visit you could stay in the area for your first night. There are lots of tips and information about the Giant’s Causeway here on VT, just use the search box on the top right hand side of the page.
    After that you could plan a route through Donegal, Sligo, Galway and on to the Cliffs of Moher before heading back to Dublin. Depending on how much time you’ve got and how much driving you want to do on a daily basis you could plan where to stay and what to visit along this loop, again there are plenty of tips about all those places already here on VT.
    Even though our motorway system has greatly improved in recent years, distances in Ireland can be deceiving and journeys can take longer than expected (especially on minor roads). You can plan your routes on the AA Ireland site: www2.aaireland.ie/routes_bet...

Enjoy your visit!
    Anne Marie

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Jul 31, 2011 at 10:04 AM

They said "rent a car for two/three days". I suppose that doing that trip in 3 days is possible but not very relaxing and allows no extra time for side trips or in case things don't go exactly to plan - regardless of how much time they will be in Ireland.

I do not know, because I have not done it, whether there is any problem taking a rental car from Ireland to Northern Ireland.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Jul 31, 2011 at 7:28 PM

>

There shouldn't be a problem. I have done it three times in a rental car without a hitch, so I'm pretty certain that you should be fine.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines