Dubai Travel Answers

change location
elpariente's Profile Photo

"Only seven hours in Dubai airport"

by elpariente Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I should like to ask you about what can I do in a week in Dubai , but unfortunately I will be in the airport for seven hours , next February , early in the morning
Do you recommend me to leave the airport and see some highlights of Dubai in order to get a quick flash of the city or just relax and visit the shops (?)
Is time enough to go to town ? What is more convenient Metro or taxi? What would you visit in this shortbtime ?
Thank you
Gracias !!!

Quote & Answer
20 Answers
  • colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Re: "Only seven hours in Dubai airport"

by colin_bramso Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I guess it depends how early in the morning. You could either do a Big Bus tour, which would give you an overview of both old and new Dubai, or you could catch the Metro (or taxi, both are convenient) into the centre of the old city and just wander around the Creek, the souks, the museum, cross the Creek on an abra (ferry) etc.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JessH's Profile Photo

by JessH Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Greetings from Dubai!

How early in the morning do you mean?
    Also, on what day would that be?
    Obviously, certain things (museum, malls, bazars, etc.) open at different times on the weekend, etc.

I would say that taxis are far more convenient, unless you are just "hopping" from shopping mall to shopping mall.

• elpariente's Profile Photo

by elpariente Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Thank you for the information
    We are arriving at 0715 on Tuesday 12
    Now I must do my homework and study your Dubai pages in detail
    Thank you
    Gracias !!!

• Re: "Only seven hours in Dubai airport"

by alnahdaresort Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 4:03 AM

You should go out to catch the quick highlight of Dubai and i would suggest the taxi for quick and comfortable highlights of Dubai.

by colin_bramso Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM

OK, a normal working day and a reasonable time, except for peak time traffic.

When you've checked out our pages you can make a list of places you'd most like to see, then we can advise the best way to get around to them.

• Abbeythekat's Profile Photo

by Abbeythekat Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Hi there

Im just going to add....to factor in how long it can take to go through customs at Dubai when you land..
    I landed at 12.00am and then it took 3hrs until I was in the taxi.. to get to my Hotel.
    Apparantly arriving after 12am is one of the busiest times.
    Another time I arrived at 07.30am and stayed in the airport as my transit was only 2.5hours and I was stunned at how packed the airport was.

So my suggestion would be....Yes do the Bus tour....but probably not book ahead as if you are delayed or if customs is busy you could loose your money.

Have a fantastic time :-)

• JessH's Profile Photo

by JessH Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Unfortunately I have to agree with Abbey...
    Dubai airport is notorious for being highly inefficient at peak-times when it comes to clearing passport control. They never have enough staff at passport control and queues can be very, very long.

If you want to guarantee quick passage, I recommend spending a little extra for the MARHABA service:
    marhabaservices.com/Source/D...

It is available at both Terminal 1 or Terminal 3 (Emirates Airlines dedicated terminal).

by elpariente Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 9:43 AM

First of all I want to thank all you for the information you have given to us
    I will not be stressed in the airport , but if I have 3 or4 hours I should try to have a glimpse of Dubai , though there are many things to see
    I am indicating you which could be our plan in order that you comment it as for me is difficult to calculate times and distances
    The idea could be to take a taxi for 1,5 - 2 hours to have a general view to see Burj Al Arab , I do not know if the "Palms" or the world have a good view from the shore , Jumeirah beach , my wife probably should like to see some luxury in a Mall ( not shopping ) or in a hotel ...
    The taxi could leave us near the Abra Old Souk and from here we could walk , take the boat to see the Gold Souk and other streets , in the other side of the river and then to walk up to the Metro station to go to Terminal 3
    I started saying that I did not want to stress , but I am already stressing myself because I do not know if this plan is for a few hours or for a full week
    thank you !!!!!

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I agree with VT members, it really depends what flight your lands. Last time when I was in Dubai, shopping centre closed at midnight and many places was closed at part from nigh clubs that close around 3 am.

If the plane lands at in morning by the time you leave the airport say 2 hour – that leaves with 5 hours, you spend 2 hours in the city, then Dubai rush hour crazy that will be maybe 2 hour or bit more cheeking that leaves with around 3 hours. It can be done but your time will be close to catch your flight.

My advised would be your on next flight back home, spend few days in Dubai, then you see whole city, but 7 hours in Dubai nothing much you can see and do.

by colin_bramso Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Obviously the more time you have the better it will be, but your plan is doable even in three or four hours.

You don't get an overview of the shape of Palm Jumjeirah from ground level but you do see quite a lot of it if you drive a little further on from Burj Al Arab to Dubai Marina - only a kilometre or two.

As you'll be in the area you could visit Mall of the Emirates to see the designer stores and Ski Dubai.

• amal231's Profile Photo

by amal231 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I think you must consider metro service as it will prove cost effective.

Re:

by elpariente Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 6:39 AM

I want to thank all you for the information you gave us
    We had a long waiting as you had told in the immigration , but as soon as we passed we took the Metro ( very good ) , we got a day ticket and we had time to visit the gold, fish and spices souk , we crossed the river by boat and we went to the Emirates Mall to see the "Burj Kalifa"
    Next time I will try to stay longer
    Gracias !!!!

Re:

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed your short visit.

• Dan30's Profile Photo

Re:

by Dan30 Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Thank you for information, I am glad you enjoyed your self in Dubai.

The Immigration lines can be busy, I think it will get busier as Qants and Emirates airlines signed deal, all Australia people go Europe and all Europeans go Australia will be transit in Dubai – maybe few will have few days in the city or on the way back home.

• soundchaseruk's Profile Photo

Re:

by soundchaseruk Online Now Apr 29, 2014 at 3:12 AM

I am going to arrive in November at 2130 hrs and leave again at 0300hrs the next day. Is it advisable to stay in the airport? I have never ventured outside of the airport and wonder about ease of travelling and the obvious worry of getting back ontime to get connection

• Dan30's Profile Photo

Re:

by Dan30 Online Now Apr 29, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Night time nothing much to do - all most all shopping centres closed around mid-night night life finish in Dubai around 3 am - sighting seeing mostly done during the day

That my advise for you sound .

Re:

by colin_bramso Online Now Apr 29, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Keith, assuming you have a UK passport you can go through the Smart Gate, so you avoid the long queues at Immigration. You would have around two to three hours before you'd need to be back at the airport, so you could see a little bit of the city. Maybe you could jump on the Metro at the airport and go out to, say, Dubai Marina and then take it back into the city centre. You could have a quick look at the Creek area, then a taxi back to the airport (which is only about 7km from there). That way you'd at least see both old and New Dubai.

• soundchaseruk's Profile Photo

Re:

by soundchaseruk Online Now Apr 30, 2014 at 1:50 AM

Is the travel expensive in Dubai ? It is one place on the planet I normally have no desire to see but if I can travel easily it is better than sitting around in a airport with expensive food and drink on hand. I guess English is widely spoken?

Re:

by elpariente Online Now Apr 30, 2014 at 4:07 AM

Metro ticket is not expensive at all and taxis I have read that are not very expensive
    Follow the advises of the VT´ers and you will get at least a good idea of Dubai as we had
    Buen viaje !!!

Re:

by colin_bramso Online Now Apr 30, 2014 at 11:44 PM

English is the main language spoken, because there are nearly 200 nationalities living in Dubai. All the signs are in Arabic and English, as are restaurant menus etc.

Compared to the UK you won't believe how cheap travel is, and best for you is Metro and taxis. To go the full five zones on the Metro, from one end of the system to the other, is roughly one UK pound. My Transportation Tips are here: Dubai Transportation Tips by colin_bramso where you'll find info on the Metro and taxis.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Dubai