Dubai Travel Answers

change location
Puma_Azul's Profile Photo

A CONVERTER

by Puma_Azul Online Now May 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Im would like to take my netbook, hair dryer and some other electric stuffs, on my travel there. Does anyone know if i need to get a converter so i can connect the cable to electricity (the one that has now is the standard for usa, mexico and latin america ). And i have a converter for europe already. And how much will it cost ?
Thanks in advance !

Eva

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: A CONVERTER

by leics Online Now May 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Dubai is in the United Arab Emirates. The voltage is the same as that in Europe and the plug types are the same as those in the UK. You can see voltage information and a photo of the plug and socket type here:

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

You will need plug adaptors to convert your plugs to three-pin socket type.

You will need to check your equipment to see if it is dual voltage and can cope with the higher voltage in Dubai. Most phones and camera battery chargers will be ok, but it is possible your netbook and...particularly...your hairdryer will not. If they are not dual voltage then you will need a converter. Your european converter will work okl, though it will need a plug adaptor if it has the two-pin mainland European type of plug. But most hotels have hairdryers available, or you could easily buy a travel hairdryer with dual voltage ...so if everything else you are taking does not need a converter it seems pointless to carry one just for your hairdryer.

It's probably better to buy the plug adaptors before you leave home rather than waste time trying to buy them once you arrive in Dubai.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JessieLang's Profile Photo

by JessieLang Online Now May 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Look at the stuff you want to take with you--read everything on it, or check the manual for it. If it says 110V-240V, you don't need a converter. If it just says 110, you need the converter. I have a converter, but I never take it any more because everything I take is dual.

• Puma_Azul's Profile Photo

by Puma_Azul Online Now May 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Thanks for ur info guys !

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now May 24, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Carefully said, the advice you have received is a bit incomplete. For battery operated devices, the answers are correct and pretty well any reasonably recent device; cell phones, lap tops, tablets, cameras etc. do tend to have universal power supplies, and all you have to do is plug them in via a plug adaptor..

Other electrical devices are not nearly so straight forward. If these are made for travel, they could be dual voltage and need to be set for the correct voltage; 220V for Dubai. If they do not have this feature, you need a voltage converter that is rated for the power that they draw. A hair dryer or iron use a lot of power (watts) and you have to purchase a converter that handles more than the wattage that they are rated for. If I look at a hair dryer and it is rated at 300W, then you really should be looking for a rating over 300W, because if you do not, you could damage / burn out your converter. These high wattage converters tend to be large, heavy and expensive. Often it is cheaper to either buy a travel style dual voltage device at home or pick up something at your destination.

A third issue affects anything with an electric motor. North American electric supplies run at 60Hz, whereas many other places in the world operate at 50Hz. So even with a voltage converter, your hair dryer fan will turn more slowly and there will be a risk of overheating. Spacing of the rotor and brushes is also line frequency dependent for most consumer goods, so you may see a lot of sparking with electric motors. This will cause a bit more wear and tear on the motor. 

I hope that this helps.

1 member found this helpful

• corysharon's Profile Photo

by corysharon Online Now May 24, 2013 at 9:53 PM

you can buy a kit at some drug stores. that will do it all .for 10 bucks

• bri4444's Profile Photo

by bri4444 Online Now May 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Anything with a heating element takes a lot of power and the converter for a hair dryer will cost more then buying a new hairdryer in my experience. A 300 watt converter might be sufficient for some curling irons, however a hairdryer will will require at least 1000 watts just to work on the low setting and approximately 1450 watts on high plus with the motor in rush current I would suggest that if getting a converter to get one good enough for at least 2 KW or 2000 watts. I work as an electrician at a fairly major trade show facility in which we have had opportunities to set up peoples booths hailing from different parts of the world or individual competitors during World Skills (competition for different trades people from around the world). In many cases we didn't catch people trying to use a converter that was under powered and they had the misfortune in almost every situation to have the smoke let out of the converter (ie went poof up in smoke). The in rush current of a motor is the other issue talked about, turning on something with a motor the current required spikes instantly up and then drops down to what ever the motor runs at depending on the load it is under. If you have a converter that the overload (if set with one) pops every time start hairdryer then would suggest making sure that turn on dryer with no heat and once motor gets up to speed then switch on heat. The best bet will be to find a travel hair dryer that has different plug configurations so can travel anywhere or buy one when you arrive if possible.

• bri4444's Profile Photo

by bri4444 Online Now May 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM

corysharon wrote:
    you can buy a kit at some drug stores. that will do it all .for 10 bucks

A 10 dollar converter will not work on a hair dryer, it might work for small devices however I would not trust them at all unless don't care about fires etc. 

2 members found this helpful

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now May 25, 2013 at 1:06 PM

bri4444 wrote:

A 10 dollar converter will not work on a hair dryer, it might work for small devices however I would not trust them at all unless don't care about fires etc. 

+1 for that.  High wattage converters are a lot more expensive than $10. 

• corysharon's Profile Photo

by corysharon Online Now May 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM

GrumpyDiver wrote:
    the one I purchased has worked very well for me. but I have not used a hair dryer. most hotels have them in the rooms. happy travels...

+1 for that.  High wattage converters are a lot more expensive than $10. 

• Puma_Azul's Profile Photo

by Puma_Azul Online Now May 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Thanks again for ur help, guys !! Cheers from México !!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Dubai