Dubai Travel Answers

change location
TonyF75's Profile Photo

changing plains at Dubai Airport

by TonyF75 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Hello fellow travellers, I will be flying with Emirates to Paris from Melbourne, and will be changing planes in Dubai. As this is my first time flying, I was just wondering if anyone can let me know what the process is for this? Will I need to go through customs or security or need to collect my luggage etc. Any answers would be appreciated.

Quote & Answer
34 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: changing plains at Dubai Airport

by xymmot Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:17 AM

If you are just flying in and transferring planes, your bags will be routed to your final destination and you need not go through immergration, but stay inside the airport . But if it is a long layover and you have a hotel approved by Emirates for a over night stay, you must pick up your luggage and go through immergration .

Cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Orchid's Profile Photo

by Orchid Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Hi Tony
    I'm assuming you are not stopping over in Dubai? If not, you will be in transit so won't have to pass through customs or collect your luggage at Dubai (your luggage should be booked through to Paris by Emirates - verify that this is happening when you check in at Melbourne - you shouls also get boarding passes for both flights). You will have to pass through security to board your connecting flight. If you do not have a boarding pass for the Dubai Paris leg, you would need to collect one from a transfer desk at Dubai.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:26 AM

I pretty much agree with the two previous posters but would like to add that you will most likely need to go up an escalator when you disembark the plane as the departures are up on the second floor but the signposting at Dubai airport is very good and you should have no problems finding your way.

• TonyF75's Profile Photo

by TonyF75 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Thanks, for the quick answers, yes, I will be travelling through Dubai, a 3 hour stopover, arriving at about 5.30am Dubai time and leaving at 8.30am Dubai time on the way to Paris.
    So if I get both boarding passes in Melbourne, I dont need to go to any desk at Dubai airport?
    Hopefully there may be some time to explore the airport then?

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:34 AM

You will almost certainly get both bparding passes in Melbourne and will not need to go to any desk.
    And Dubai airport is one of the nicer airports in this world with lot's of shopping and some good cafes and a real nice bar on the second floor that has good tables if you need to work with a computer.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Your luggage will go straight through to Paris. You will get off the plane, probably be given a transit card and you will be on one of the upper floors at the terminal, then you will proceed on foot to a security check point where your hand baggage will pass through an x-ray machine and you will also pass through a metal detector gate, before proceeding downstairs to the duty free shops, restaurants where you can wander around. You will be able to check your connecting flight details on one of the many screens, and eventually your flight will be announced and you have to proceed to the departure gate where your luggage will be screened again. You will hand in your transit card, show your boarding pass (which you will receive for both flights when you check in at Melbourne. You will then take a seat until it is time to board the aircraft.
    Very easy and nothing to worry about---i did it twice in the last few months.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 3:32 AM

When you land at Dubai Airport and get a bus to the airport building there will be an announcment telling you that transit passengers go one way; arriving passengers go the other. Luggage should go all the way through to your final destination. You will no doubt be told this at check in. Dubai Airport is big but very busy. It has lots of shops, cafes, an Irish pub. You may like some of the Middle Eastern type souvenirs you can get there.

• HansDK's Profile Photo

by HansDK Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:21 AM

Never heard of or had a transit card in Dubai. I have only passed security on arrival - never at the gate again, and there was an escalator up to the departure area and duty free shops.

Your departure gate will likely be screened on the IFE shortly before landing. 5.30-6 am is one of the busiest periods at Dubai.

by davidjo Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Well i might have called it a transit card but to be exact, our plane arrived in Dubai for refueling and they gave us some type of card with a number on it and took away our boarding pass stub, then we had to hand the card back when we returned to the departure lounge and our stub was returned. Sorry for the confusion!!!

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:00 AM

That sort of transit card is very common if you only land to refuel but continue afterwards on the same plane.
    But in the case of our friend here he will just need the boarding card to the connecting flight which he should get in Melbourne.

• saleemg's Profile Photo

by saleemg Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:58 AM

You need not worry mate! Dubai is one of the best international hubs in the world and third largest in the world. I assume you are connecting on to another Emirates flight. As long as your connection time is within 48 hrs, you can get your baggage thru tagged to Paris and there is no need to clear customs and collect your bags. The transit shopping at Dubai Airport is ver tempting.....better than many shopping malls....hence, have good control on your purse :-)

by TonyF75 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Thanks everyone, lots of information to digest!

Sounds like I wont have any trouble, but whats this about getting a bus to the airport terminal? Am I not already in the airport when we arrive?
    Sorry, I will ask naive questions!
    Tony

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM

The planes normally park on the runway in Dubai airport and then they take you by bus from the runway to the terminal.
    Usually takes around 10 minutes.

by TonyF75 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Thanks cachaseiro, this sounds like it will be an experience!
    I am sure I can just follow other passengers!

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Actually you almost certainly won't get a bus from the plane to the terminal. Emirates have exclusive use of Terminal 3 and your incoming and outgoing flights will be from T3. You'll disembark and board through airbridges direct from the boarding gate into the aircraft.

Only if every single gate at T3 has a plane parked at it will your incomiing flight have to park further away - and Dubai T3 is the biggest terminal in the world.

The signage and announcements are clear, in English as well as Arabic, there's staff on hand to help if you need it. Don't worry, you'll be surprised how easy it is.

by davidjo Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 8:21 PM

sometimes at the airport a bus meets you where the plane is parked and they pick you up and drive 2 minutes to the terminal---no problem, don't worry, be happy!!!

• saleemg's Profile Photo

by saleemg Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 12:52 AM

No question is naive Tony :-)
    Dubai is quite a large airport and at times the aircrafts park away from the main Terminal building. This is when an internal luxury airport bus is used within the airport to bring the passengers from the aircraft tarmac to the terminal building. Coming on a long haul flight, you have very high chances that your aircraft will get a stand dirctly connected to the terminal building. My suggestion is that since u have 3 hrs transit time, you first see where your departure gate is located after arrival into Dubai and then wander around the beautiful airport ....time will just fly amidst the shopping arcades and tempting restaurants. Mind you, the airport is quite large with three main concourses, however, staff are helpful and signage is distinct. Happy travel!

by TonyF75 Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I will try and not be tempted to buy anything at the airport! Maybe on the way back when we have a longer break! hehe thanks everyone you make me feel just that bit relaxed. Maybe I should post the next question about Charles de Gualle airport! hehe

by cachaseiro Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 6:04 AM

I have been picked up on the runway every single time i have flown Emirates and i have done so 8 times the past two years but i might have been coming in to another terminal.

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 4:26 PM

You will be landing in Dubai International Airport (Terminal 3 (T3)) once get off the plane you will look for transfer signs. You will see Airport Staff wearing Blue sign, how I can help you. The transfer easy to find not hard at all if have problem ask Staff.

Few years ago I flu with Emirates and land at T3) airlines is good airline if flying A380 Air bus, amazing aircraft so much leg room.

Your bags will be sent Paris you have no worries about that, T3 is huge very beautiful Terminal I am sure you will enjoy time in Dubai T3.

Have a lovely flight to City of Love (Paris)

by TonyF75 Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM

thanks everyone for your answers, probably a few other questions I may have, especially in regards to eating at the airport during Ramadan, however I guess I needn't worry about this.
    Tony

• Abbeythekat's Profile Photo

by Abbeythekat Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Hey there

I travelled from Melbourne (from Auckland) last August to Dubai and spent 2.5hrs in transit before heading to Casablanca.
    As a VTer mentioned above. Its best when you first get off the plane to sort out your next gate. I thought I had heaps of time...but by the time the plane lands, taxi's to the terminal..unloads passangers etc that can take nearly an hour.
    Then you walk.....and walk and walk :-) (take comfortable shoes)..through the transit area (where you get your bag scanned etc)...then you walk to your gate. I had just enough time to find the gate, did a quick look at the shops (but I found it was too crowded for me) and then go to the bathroom to freshen up and then boarded the next plane. It was all a blurr to be honest. :0)

Dubai is a lovely airport (but it is massive) and I found all the staff I interacted with to be very friendly.

by TonyF75 Online Now Mar 31, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Thank you Abbey, I was hoping there might be someone who had done the trip from Melbourne. I hope it isnt too far from one gate to another! I will make sure I find the gate to Paris first! Which gate did you arrive at in Terminal 3?I am guessing it would be the same gate as I will arrive at?

• Abbeythekat's Profile Photo

by Abbeythekat Online Now Mar 31, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Hiya,

I cant remember which gate we docked at. But it did seem a long way away. I get swollen feet from flying and I was glad I had comfortable shoes for the walk. Also keep this in mind if you have carry on luggage....as I didnt see any trolleys when I transited. I had a small backpack and shoulder bag which left my arms free.
    (On my return trip after staying in Dubai for a couple of days I had extra items...which where awarkard to hold. I couldnt find a trolley and so had to walk for ages (10 min) to my gate with dead arms :0) )

When you are on the plane, keep an eye on the screen in front of you as it will display where your next flight is going from. (That was really helpful especially if your inbound flight is running late).

I really enjoyed flying with Emirates. For a long haul flight it was pretty good. The entertainment screens were fantastic....I must have watched 4 movies, and a couple of Downton Abbey Series on the flight. (I never sleep on planes).

Have an awesome time Tony :0)

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Well Abbey from 31 March 2013) Emirates and Qantas have 5 year agreement which means Qantas new hub will be Dubai – for connection flights to Europe. You also have option go on Emirates flights too Emirates flights also have option to go Qantas flights.

I am look forward on travelling on Qantas in the future.

• Re: changing plains at Dubai Airport

by adix Online Now Aug 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Dear Folks,
    I will be travelling to Warsaw (Europe) from Delhi (India) next week by Emirate and I have connecting fight at Dubai T3 and connection time is only 1 hour and 15 minutes. Kindly give me idea of Dubai T3 so that I may reach to my 2nd flight soonest. I pray my 1st flight will reach on time.

Please give me entire way (imaginary map). E.g where to approach after going out from 1st flight , which block or floor should I reach and how many securities check I have to go through etc etc.

p.s I will get my boarding pass of connecting flight at Delhi airport itself.
    Thank you,

• HansDK's Profile Photo

by HansDK Online Now Aug 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Dubai Airport is very well signed, so just follow the signs.

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

by colin_bramso Online Now Aug 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM

"Please give me entire way (imaginary map). E.g where to approach after going out from 1st flight , which block or floor should I reach and how many securities check I have to go through etc etc."

Impossible to say because it depends on which gate you arrive at and leave from. Just follow the transfer signs.

by davidjo Online Now Aug 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Actually, once you get to Dubai airport you are instructed where to go (if transit or immigration), and there are signs and monitors everywhere so there is no need to worry or be concerned,----it is so easy!!!

• GraceS24's Profile Photo

by GraceS24 Online Now Mar 19, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Hi I was just wondering If I am likely to get my connecting flight in Dubai airport if I have only have 1hr and 15mins to get between two terminals? I'll arrive in T3 and departing from T1. Will this be enough time to get through all the check points?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Dubai