Dubai Travel Answers

change location
SheniJ's Profile Photo

Explore Dubai on our own !

by SheniJ Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

We are five ladies (4 Adult + 1 Child) travelling to Dubai in month of May'13. We have booked our own Hotel accommodation and have decided to explore Dubai on our own. During 6 Six days of our visit, We have below iternary going in mind as of now but would be great if someone can guide in detail,

Day 1 - Local Dubai City Tour (Full Day)/ Malls etc..
Day 2 - Desert Safari (Half Day)
Day 3 - Dhow Cruise
Day 4 - Want to visit a Water Park but not sure which one is it? Cananyone help?
Day 5 - One Trip to Abu Dhabi (Can anyone let me know the cost of hiring private car and do local sight seeing and comeback.)
Day 6 - Not sure what to do??

Would appreciate suggestions and comments !

Thanks & Regards,
Sheni

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Kaaskop85's Profile Photo

Re: Explore Dubai on our own !

by Kaaskop85 Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Hi Sheni, I've been in Dubai in 2009 and have done several of those things you mention. I was in Dubai for 11 days and actually could have spend longer to see more.

Day 1: there are many shopping malls. I think you should chose some. Most malls have the same shops, so you better look to the special attractions inside like the Ski-hall (Mall of Emirates), aquarium (Dubai Mall), Chinese boat (Ibn Battuta) or glass piramids (Wafi city). Personally I would recommend the Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates. Further I don't know if you're interested in architecture. Burj Khalifa is located next to Dubai Mall. Palm Jumeirah also is special to see. If you want to see the old city with souks then you need to be in Deira and Bur. In Burj you can also visit the Dubai Museum with information about the history of the Emirate, which also is possible in Sheik Saeed Al-Maktoum house. A lot of things, so perhaps you should take a second day for this.
    Day 2: definitely worth it! It's awesome! If you hotel is located in the old city you perhaps can visit something (souk, museum, ...) in the morning.
    Day 3: we had a cruise with dinner which only was an evening. During the day you perhaps can do something else like going to the beach. We liked Jumeirah Beach Park.
    Day 4: We've been to Wild Wadi Park, next to Burj Al-Arab. I can really recommend it, although I know there also is a water park at Palm Jumeirah, but I haven't been there, so can't judge which is better. Anyway, don't forget sun lotion! Even with sun lotion we're completely red after a day, so sun block lotion might even be better.
    Day 5: in our opinion traffic was a bit chaotic and we didn't take the risk to drive by ourselves and took the taxi (sky train wasn't finished yet). I don't know about costs.
    Day 6: perhaps same as day one.

Other things I can recommend is to Madinat in the evening. The view to Burj Al-Arab is great and you can have dinner or a drink in one of the restaurants. By the way, alcohol drinks can only be bought in hotels and not in stores.

I hope it's helpful for you. Enjoy your stay!

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:57 AM

A trip to the beach is good Jumeriah Public Beach or Al Manzur Beach. I would recommend a visit to Souq Jumeriah Medinat. It is a shopping mall done up like an old Arab village.

The WAFI Mall has an old style souq, Egyptian statues and a sound and light show.

Dubai Mall has a huge aquarium and evening musical fountain display.

Ibn Battuta Mall has areas themed like different countries.

Explore he creek area Shindaga waterfront for old buildings, outdoor cafes, Deira side for souqs - gold, spice, perfume, fruit/veg fish.

Cross Creek by abra for 1AED. Visit Dubai Museum.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• sdq's Profile Photo

by sdq Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM

For Q 1 I think one day for Malls is not enough, not because of shopping but most activities are indoor due to the high temperatures in Dubai Q 4 try Wild Wadi and Atlantis both of them are wonderful. Q 5 try the Ferrari world in Abu Dhabi. Q 6 Go to the old Dubai Spice & Gold Souq etc or the beaches like Jumairah or to the tallest building in the world for a tea, so you have quiet a lot of options :-))

1 member found this helpful

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM

You haven't told us what you like to see and do, but I suggest you leave plenty of time to walk around the old city either side of the Creek, visiting the souks, the museum, Sheikh Saeed's house, Shindagah historic area.

Ibn Battuta Mall is worth visiting not for the shops but for the amazing design of the mall itself.

I would advise against driving to Abu Dhabi - the roads are dangerous and as you don't know your way around then city you'll probably waste a lot of time getting lost.

Check out the information on our Dubai pages here on VT and you'll see all the things available for you to do.

• globetrott's Profile Photo

by globetrott Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM

something important for your plannings:
    every Friday morning Dubai is "almost dead" and not even the metro will be running until 01.00pm or so, just some taxis will go and shops,museums etc. will be closed as well, as the Friday is their "sunday"

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Dubai