Dubai Travel Answers

change location

Dubai on a budget for solo experience ?

by ViMode Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Hi all :) Do you know how much money should I bring for 3 night stand in dubai? I was planning to go to a safari, visit the museum, the creek, shopping souvenirs (nothing expensive). I don't want to do anything too expensive (i'm on a Budget) but I do want to explore dubai at its best. So how much should I bring (including transportation) according to your experience? how much did you spend? and what other cheap solo activities do you recommend me? thank you :) PD. sorry for bad english and I already book my hotel :)

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 6:51 PM

If you already book your hotel, the walking experience to tour through Dubai can be cheap by using a all day metro card for 14aed and ride through the city. It is the excursions and activities that will cost you the most. I figure about 50usd per activity unless you want to drive a Ferrari in ferrari town. Do your own city tour on foot, walk out to the marinas, cross the old town and the creek to the Musuem. I say one hundred dollars for each day of fun is a good budget since you already paid for your room. Eat at the malls 10usd even though Dubai has some of the best eatery, cause it is cheaper. Unless you sprurge, expect to spend 50 usd on a really good meal. When you get to Dubai, just pick up a handbook at the Tourist kiosk and they have the package deals of activities listed. Tour the city on your own.Read some of the VT members blogs...we have interesting members there. cheers tommy x

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • colin_bramso's Profile Photo

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Hi, welcome tyo VT.

You can do many things for free or at minimal cost. For example, walk around the Creek area and the souks, the old shopping areas, the new designer malls, the fountain and aquarium at Dubai Mall, the ski slope at Mall of then Emirates, the amazing architecture of Ibn Battuta Mall, Dubai Marina, Souk Madinat Jumeirah, the beaches. Cross the Creek by abra (little traditional ferry) for AED1 each way, museum is about AED2 and other attractions in that area are free or very cheap. Metro is good and cheap, depending where you come from taxis are cheap.

Apart from tours such as the desert safari you won't spend much - I'd say much less than the US$100 a day already suggested. (There are thousands of people working in Dubai who are paid less than US$200a month). For example, US$50 for a good meal is more than double what we pay for an excellent meal for two in good restaurants!

Have a look at our Dubai pages here on VT for all the info you need, plus tips on what to see, where to eat etc and the costs involved. Just click on our names to go to our pages then follow the links.

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Dubai on a budget for solo experience ?

by ViMode Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 7:49 PM

thank you for your quick response :) I've checking the guides on this sites and they are really good I've found many thing to do (although i can't see the pricess of all) well. just another quick question. I like to document every travel I do. So I'd probably be walking out with my videocamera and my photographycamera in the tours or when sightseeing souqs beach, malls, downtown, safari parks. is this advisable for a female solo traveler?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Hermanfernz's Profile Photo

Re: Dubai on a budget for solo experience ?

by Hermanfernz Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Hi Dubai is one of the safest places to live and travel, You will find many Female solo travellers walking the streets of dubai and they are pretty safe.only thing you need to be vary off are fake mobile sellers who roam the streets with the latest "fake Mobiles" and they targets visitors.Otherwise you will ove your stay in dubai.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Safety for woman was a question ask of concern before and I can not any reason that you will not be safe out there during the day or night except to follow your common sense like anywhere you go. I see many woman travel alone out there and if they take the metro there is a special area designated a seat for woman and children only.. Take lots of pictures as the contrast of colors is many. cheers tommy x

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Just be a little careful if you're photographing/filming people. Some people, especially women, object to being photographed and it can get you into trouble.

• sdq's Profile Photo

by sdq Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM

• sdq's Profile Photo

by sdq Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Just to add a little when you 'll be at the aquarium at the Dubai Mall don't be a miser take a 100 dhs ticket and enjoy the aquatic world from inside, when you'll be at the Ski Dubai at the Mall of the Emirates take a 200 dhs ticket and have fun in the snow when the outside temperature is extremely hot and when you are at the creek spend 5 dhs to go across it in a Abra which is a local boat. So when you are so near to these attractions why not enjoy them because you can not enjoy them anywhere else in the world and do tell us the name of your hotel so that we can suggest how to line up your visit to these amazing sites :-)

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Actually Sadiq, I disagree about going into the aqarium. IMO the best view is the free part, the huge window in the mall. Unless you've been through one in other aquariums around the world, it's just about worth paying extra to walk through the tunnel but I think the way the animals are packed into tiny enclosures in the main inside part is depressing.

Andm BTW, the abra is only an amazingly low AED1 each way.

• sdq's Profile Photo

by sdq Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Actually Colin I haven't seen this sort of place so far and I deadly love these creatures so may be that's why I am a bit more attracted toward these things where ever I go and you are right about the Abra as it was so low I forgot the actual rate.

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM

You're right, the abra is amazingly cheap. For many many years it was only 50fils, then a few years back they doubled it to one dirham. It's the best value sightseeing tour in Dubai!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Dubai