Dubai Travel Answers

change location

Clubs and racism?

by mandapanda02 Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Alright, so I've heard that some clubs in Dubai are racist towards East Asians and deny them entrance at the club.
Is this true? I'm Asian, but I've been raised in Europe my entire life, and I'm going there on a vacation for a week with my best friend. We wanna check out the nightlife of Dubai, so I'm just wondering if I should take the chance?
Also, how strict are the clubs in Dubai? I've heard that in some places, they will grant you access even if you are under 21, but you'll have to pay a higher entrance fee.
Any help would be very much appreciated! :)

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Re: Clubs and racism?

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM

We're not clubbers so I can't speak from experience but there are sometimes reports in the papers about a club not allowing (usually) south Asians in. It doesn't seem to happen all that often and if it does it gets reported and the club involved gets bad publicity, there's an 'enquiry' and they promise not to do it again.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Clubs and racism?

by viewtheworld Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 4:08 AM

See, unfortunately the working environment/arrangement in Dubai for expats is such that there are an awful lot of East Asians (primarily Indians & Pakistanis) who went there in their droves for labour work during the construction boom. Hence that is the most common association with Asians - labour/working class! So, unfortunately that profile contradicts an affluent, free-spending clientele!

That said, if you are dressed very smart (in life people often & many times mistakenly do judge by appearances!) then usually there is NO problem to gain entry into the clubs. A bonus if you are accompanied with females. Then you will have no trouble entering at all :-)

The clubs associated with the five star hotels, eg Mirage, Jumeirah Beach, Madinat, etc WILL let you in if you're dressed smartly. BTW many clubs even ban 'ethnically' dressed locals as that contravenes the clubs' dress code! And let me assure you some locals are VERY affluent indeed!

• sdq's Profile Photo

by sdq Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I went to a club in York International they charge 60 dirhams per head with a nice welcoming environment and didn't have any difficulty without accompanying anyone and will also advice you to stay in this hotel as I have stayed in one of their front suite couple of times and have enjoyed my stay.

• kam32's Profile Photo

by kam32 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM

There is no racism as such. As long as u have valid Id and dress up well there should be no problem getting in. Just find some nice clubs before you go.Look for Grosvenor Hotel clubs.

1 member found this helpful

• JunBug86's Profile Photo

by JunBug86 Online Now Jan 23, 2014 at 1:40 PM

I have no comment about Dubai, but in any major metropolis if there's a lower working/service class that's dominated by people from a certain ethnicity it tends to generate racism and associating certain races/ethnicities with the lower class.

That's not why I'm commenting though. Indians/Pakistanis are NOT "East Asians" lol, they're South Asians. I know they're east of Dubai but East Asia is China/Korea/Japan/Mongolia.. etc. Just FYI. Peace out.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Dubai