Dubai Travel Answers

change location
AranaJ's Profile Photo

Is it safe for a young woman to stay alone in dubai?

by AranaJ Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Hi I'm a 20 year old woman who is planning to stay alone in dubai for couple of days. I have been seeing hotels in Rolla Street in Bur Dubai and Al Salahuddin Street in Deira District. I'm staying alone so I'll probably be going out alone and I wanted to know which one is better or a safer area. Also, does anyone know what is the minimum age requirement for hotel check-in at / Royal Falcon Hotel and Ramee Hotel Apartments , I haven't found it on the internet. Thanks a lot !

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • sdq's Profile Photo

by sdq Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I don't think it will be of any problem for you to stay in Rainbow Hotel or Rush Inn at Khaled Bin Waleed Street, Bur Dubai, as they have a very friendly atmosphere do check it on Agoda.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • AranaJ's Profile Photo

Re: Is it safe for a young woman to stay alone in dubai?

by AranaJ Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM

do you know what's the minimun legal age to check in at rainbow hotel? I'm 20:
    and is it near turistic atractions?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Hi Arana, welcome to VT.

Yes, Dubai is a very safe city and there are thousands of single women and women walking around on their ow. Just take the normal precautions'

I'm not sure whether there's a minimum age for checking in to hotels in Dubai.

I recommend Bur Dubai rather than Deira. It's less crowded, less traffic, has many attractions and is a little closer to the attractions of New Dubai.

Have a look at the tips and suggestions on our Dubai pages here on VT - just click on our names to go to our pages and then follow the links to the Dubai information/photos.

• JessH's Profile Photo

by JessH Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I agree with Colin: I would rather stay in Bur Dubai than in Deira... Dubai is very safe, but you still need to take the usual, logical precautions: don't walk alone in dark, empty alleys at night. Don't wear skimpy clothing. Don't get into a car with a stranger. It's very safe, but crime towards women does happen (ilke anywhere). The minimum legal age to check into a hotel yourself would be 18 in the UAE. That's when you're regarded as an adult.

• AranaJ's Profile Photo

by AranaJ Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 6:08 AM

thank you all :)
    one last thing... is it ok to wear
    sleeveless blouses in dubai ? and scoop necks or v necks?
    are skinny jeans or jeggings ok? what about formal brigth knee-length tube dresses?
    I don't know what i should wear speacially given the fact that I'm traveling alone.

• saleemg's Profile Photo

by saleemg Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I second JessH views. Dubai is very safe as long as you do not wear too provocative dress, get drunk and go to any private place with a stranger. Dubai is quite liberal and modern in its outlook, however, short / revealing dresses are not advisable in public places such as shopping malls, etc. Also, being an Islamic country, the sentiments of the local people should be respected. The following site link may be helpful to you:
    dubai.ae/en/Lists/Articles/D...">dubai.ae/en/Lists/Articles/D...

• JessH's Profile Photo

by JessH Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Arana, you'll see plenty of women walking around, showing plenty of bare skin... but this does not mean that this is acceptable behavior. In the shopping malls more Western Dress is ok, but even so on the entrance doors of each mall there are signs requesting shoppers to please respect local sentiments and at least cover shoulders and wear shorts/skirts down to the knees (no mini skirts, no bare stomach, no full cleavage on show, etc.)
    Dubai is very modern, but if you are visiting more traditional areas (like the souks / down by Dubai Creek, Dubai Museum or a desert safari) women should please cover up with loose, light clothing. I'm not saying that showing bare skin will cause you to be "harassed", but it will certainly make many around you feel uncomfortable and in turn, you'll probably feel uncomfortable too if men are gawking and women and shaking their heads at you.

• AranaJ's Profile Photo

by AranaJ Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Soo.. that means that a sleeveless blouse  and skinny jeans are fine?

• AranaJ's Profile Photo

by AranaJ Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM

btw does anyone know how much are desert safaris??
    thank you :)

• Patchi's Profile Photo

by Patchi Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM

hey.... my advice to you is to search for a hotel in al barsha area behind emirates mall its in the middle of whats going on and not so expensive .. deira are a bit far so you will end up paying a lot on taxi to go and come back to ur hotel ...
    Deira and bur dubai are the old dubai nothing going on there...
    Dubai probably is the safest place on earth .. and an open minded country and people are very friendly
    Safari prices starting 30 up to 40 us dollars
    so after all its safe to be alone and i'm sure u gonna have the best time of ur life and u will meet a great people

• sdq's Profile Photo

by sdq Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM

The min. age is 18 and the metro is near which goes to nearly all the tourist attractions.

• AranaJ's Profile Photo

by AranaJ Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM

thank you so much for alll your help I'm coming to dubai in 2 weeks :)
    and I have a major fashion crisis now.
    I have no idea what to wear. I usually wear a lot of sleeveless chiffon blouses and skinny jeans and wedges sandals in summer
    I don't know if wearing that would be fine.
    and for the ladies...
    are mullet chiffon skirts ok ?

• JessH's Profile Photo

by JessH Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Hi again. Yes, skinny jeans are fine and sleeveless blouse is ok in the Western areas.... but if you head into the old fashioned markets or even tour a mosque, you should / have to cover your shoulders.

Just a clarification: you can drive a car and check into a hotel at the age of 18 in Dubai... but to drink alcohol and bet allowed into a nightclub, you need to be 21 years old.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Dubai