Dubai Travel Answers

change location
Gembly's Profile Photo

Big question: Is it safe for 2 women under 30??

by Gembly Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM

On route to Sydney, my friend and I are stopping in Dubai for 2 or 3 nights. Staying in Jumeira Beach, I want to know: how safe is the public transport from the airport to the hotel and back again? And is it easy to see the sights? eg: Burj Al Arab/ Burj Khalifa/ Shopping areas

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Quote & Answer
25 Answers
  • Kaaskop85's Profile Photo

Re: Big question: Is it safe for 2 women under 30??

by Kaaskop85 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Hi Gembly, I've been in Dubai for holiday in 2009 and saw ladies walking around alone or together. I haven't seen any crime, not even graffiti. Punishments in Dubai are very high so I think it's a safe place. Greetings

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Gembly's Profile Photo

by Gembly Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Thank you for that! While you were there, did you use public transport? Is it easy to get around the city?

Be the first to rate this answer!

by Kaaskop85 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM

The skytrain wasn't finished yet when we're there, so we actually always used taxi. There are two kinds of taxi's. Normal cars and luxury cars, of course the luxury cars are more expensive. Just take the Toyota's, it's fine. The only public transport we used were the abra's (small boats on the creek). They brought us to the other side for only one dirham. Feel free to ask if you want to know more :)

by Kaaskop85 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM

About the sights ... you only can enter the island of Burj Al Arab if you're guest or made a reservation for the bar or restaurant, which of course is very expensive. But if you want to take photos then you can make them near the entrance gate or go to Madinath in the evening. It's a cozy place with restaurants and hotels and the view to Burj Al Arab is beautiful.

Burj Khalifa wasn't finished yet when we were there, but next to it there is a shopping mall and I guess it's possible to walk around the building.

Other shopping malls are easy accessible. One has a ski hall, one a big aquarium, another one a huge Chinese boat and another one pyramids of glass. It's very special too see it.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

by wise23girl Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM

You can book a high tea at Burj Al Arab. The first time we missed out on the tour as it was booked out. On our next visit our agent booked ahead on the net and we were there ...right on top of the world.....I would think you could find a booking site on the internet.

If you have a stop over with Emirates I am sure Arabian Adventures would help you....or would help you anyway ...we did the desert 4WD with them.

We used the taxis a lot as they were relatively inexpensive on our first visit but our second time which included the Burj was a ships tour.

Re safety...any place has its hidden dangers but we found Dubai very safe.....just take usual precautions but remember their laws are different

Oh and enjoy Australia...we nearly always fly via Dubai.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Dubai is a very safe city and I see no problem for you ladies to have a great time there for two days. Plenty of modern shopping malls, and they boast that they have one of the largest. (Dubai Mall) there are several, and with the new landscaping of the city with modernbuilding with air conditioning will keep you cool. Where are few places for alcohol consumption that is mainly in hotels or tourist establishment which was fine with me cause I hardly drink. The only time I did feel unsafe when I did a walk about the hotel late in the evening and there was no one around. I think I scare myself, but then I see in the distance a night watchman , watching my every moves around the ground. The metro is a dream, when you get there, buy a day pass and ride it all day long.It's cheap like 4usd. It goes down under sometime, but when it is outside, it's elevated so you can see all the sights from above. I took the ride fom one end to another, about 30mins to familiar the area, besides it had AC and it was hot outside. The metro will stop at all the shopping areas you want to go to. The old city area is a little walk to go to (gold souq and spice souq) but with two people a little adventure will be good. I wander the streets and crossed the river to see the Mosque. I got out at Al Fahidi, walked the old markets and wander till I saw a ferry crossing to the other side. I had a small map that you can get at the tourist info when you arrive in Dubai, and saw that the station Al Ras was nearby so I decided to cross the river for 50 cent. If you take the water taxi, it is double. i asked around the locals and saw that they took the other.and I posted a video of the crossing on my pages. I walked and explore the Mosque and the Dubai Musuem and then found bakerys, and food shops that I ate local food. Got the direction to the Al Ras station and went on my way to the Dubai Mall. Where you are staying is very safe and modern, but dress approprately, it is a muslim country and you must respect their way of life too. Even though it's hot, no mini-dresses and no short, shorts. cover the shoulders and ask the locals about their mosque. I think woman has different rules. Food and drinks to me are expensive, I ate in the mall itself and it was very good and has a good variety. Be sure to check out the food courts in the mall, and check my page for mall restaurant. I hope this helps a little bit. Thanks for the tips and if you need more info, drop a e-mail to me. Remember that the old city close down shop between 12 and three? for religous and siesta, where malls stay open all the time.  Rush hour on Metro about 430., very stuffy, but ladies, there is a section for woman only, look for where the ladies quene up.Below are pictures of tickets  and the mall.

cheers tommy X

• Gembly's Profile Photo

by Gembly Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM

thank you! :)

• sdq's Profile Photo

by sdq Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Of course Dubai is absolutely safe you can use a cab, bus or a metro all of them are very good :-)

• Re: Big question: Is it safe for 2 women under 30??

by viewtheworld Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Hi, Now that the metro is functional, you can actually use the metro from the airport upto Mall of the Emirates stop. From there get a taxi to your hotel. Should be no more than 20 AED from there, and around 15 minutes max. The metro tickets will be approx.5 AED per person for that single journey. If you expect to start seeing the sights, etc the day of your arrival, and anticipate using the metro, then buy a day pass for 14 AED each, unlimited travel, all the way upto Ibn Battuta Mall. Otherwise taxi from airport to your hotel would be around 90 AED. Have fun :-)

• Re: Big question: Is it safe for 2 women under 30??

by viewtheworld Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Hi, If you want to go to the top of Burj Khalifa (highly recommend it!), book the time slot of your choice/convenience at www.atthetop.ae Ideally go for a 1730 slot, so you get to see sunset, and the fountains + lights coming on at 1830, from up above. Later get down & enjoy the fountains/music by sitting in front of them in the open/steps. By booking online the cost is only 105 AED versus on-the-spot 400 AED! A massive saving!!

• av101773's Profile Photo

by av101773 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 3:17 PM

You shouldn't have any problems, particularly in the tourist areas such as the Burj Khalifa or the main shopping malls and the metro trains have ladies-only carriages. Even in the old part of the city, where there are plenty of people, you might get stares but nothing sinister. Its more out of curiosity than menace.
    The big malls are very modern and very clean with lots of designer shops full of every age group with many families and couples - both locals and tourists. Not at all threatening. Just take any precautions you would take in any major city, stick to the busy areas and take care of your bags etc, and you should have a great time. Enjoy!

• saleemg's Profile Photo

by saleemg Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Yes. Dubai is quite a safe place and women do move around late night. As long as you do not go to remote areas in very skimpy clothing or get drunk and act silly, you shouldn't worry much.

Public transport is excellent and you can cover most of the sights by using public transport. Check out my travel pages on Dubai, which primarily features public transport.

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

by colin_bramso Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Dubai is one of the safest cities in the world, including public transport. From the airport you can take a taxi to your hotel for about AED80 including the AED20 surcharge. Taxis are strictly controlled, metered, air-conditioned, clean.

The Metro covers quite a lot of the city and New Dubai so you can use that to go to Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa, Mall of the Emirates, Ibn Battuta Mall. It runs through the heart of the city too, so you can use it to visit the Creek, souks, museums and historic areas - a real must-do.

by colin_bramso Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Sorry, I should have said that you should check our Dubai pages here on VT - all the info you need is on them.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 2:03 AM

The metro runs from terminal 3 and terminal 1 of the airport. Buy a silver NOL card and you can use it on the metro and buses. You just add value when it runs down. To get to the Jumeriah Beach area by public transport take the metro to Al Gubaiba Station (you need to change from the red to the green line) then take bus 8 going in the direction of Ibn Battuta Mall it goes right through the Jumeriah Beach area.

The 8 bus will take you to several sights the Shindaga end of the Creek if you get off at Al Gubaiba bus Station, the gold souq, fish souq, fruit veg souq, perfume souq, spice souq if you get off t Gold Souq Station, the Wild Wadi Water Park, same stop for Souq Jumeriah Medinat - souq made to look like old Arab Village, Dubai Marina, Ibn Battuta Mall. Buses are safe but slow. To use them put your Nol card on the card reader on entry and exit. Public transport is cheap. It stops deducting money from your NOL card if you reach 14 AED in a day.

The metro can take you to Dubai Mall, Mall of the Emirates, the Creek, Wafi Mall, the souqs.

public transport is very safe. There are even women only sections if you want to use them.

• Gembly's Profile Photo

by Gembly Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 5:01 AM

Thank you! We will probably only stay for 2 nights but the hotel I'm looking at is in Jumeira Beach, so its near to everything we want to see anyway.
    I've heard the metro is great, so thanks for the advice :)

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Welcome to UAE forum section.

Dubai is very safe city with very low crime rate. It’s safer then many western cities. Since I have been travelling though Dubai for many years I have not seen any major crime. Police has O rate on crime and punishment very high that why crime rate is low.

Dubai is one first cities in Middle east that have online complaint system for the public, so if your not happy you can raise complaint.

Regarding taxi it’s safe) airport welcomes tourist from all over the world and you will be more then welcome in Dubai.

The hotel you need read the reviews I have enclosed a web site, have a look at

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserRe...">tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserRe...

Shopping malls are good ,you can do good shopping.

I hope my information does help you.

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Gembly wrote:

Thank you! We will probably only stay for 2 nights but the hotel I'm looking at is in Jumeira Beach, so its near to everything we want to see anyway. I've heard the metro is great, so thanks for the advice :)

It's a bit confusing because "Jumeirah Beach" is actually a very long stretch of beaches. There's Jumeirah Beach Hotel, which is part of the complex including Burj Al Arab, Madinat Jumeirah and Wild Wadi, and there are several hotels on Jumeirah Beach (including Sheraton, Hilton, Ritz Carlton, Habtoor Grand etc etc). Which one are you planning to book?

BTW, I suggested taxi from the airport because I'm sure you'll have heavy  luggage and that's by far the most convenient way to travel with bags.

• Gembly's Profile Photo

by Gembly Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I'm looking at the Jumeira Rotana Hotel. It seems to be in a good location and it's a great price for what we're looking for. It's not technically in Jumeira Beach but it's pretty close!
    I was thinking we'd get a taxi from the airport - glad to hear I had the right idea!

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

OK, Jumeirah Rotana is one of the many places with 'Jumeirah' in it's title that isn't actually in Jumeirah! It's on the edge of one of the old shopping areas, Satwa, which is one of my favourite places in Dubai to wander around.

It's not far from the beach and is sort-of midway between the old city and New Dubai. It's a good hotel too, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's not on the Metro line BTW.

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

BTW, taxi will be cheaper than I said earlier when I thought you were staying at one of the Jumeirah Beach hotels. I guess to Satwa it would be more like AED40 or 50.

• JessH's Profile Photo

by JessH Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Hello there!
    Colin has already given you some great advice. Another hotel I really like that's probably a bit more budget friendly and very close to the Jumeirah Rotana Hotel is the Chelsea Plaza Hotel. As with anything, it depends on your budget. If you want to be on the beach but still close to the city, the only beach hotel in this area is the Dubai Marine Beach Resort & Spa. Hope this helps.

• Gembly's Profile Photo

by Gembly Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Hi, Yes I discovered it's not actually in Jumeira beach! But that's ok - we don't necessarily want to go to the beach anyway. I'm glad to hear it's a good hotel! We will probably go to the Khalifa and the Dubai Mall so is there an easy way to get there from the hotel? Thanks

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Gemma, the easiest way would be by taxi. Then once you're at Dubai Mall there's a Metro station so you can use that to get to other places like Dubai Marina, Mall of the Emirates, Ibn Battuta Mall and into the city to see the old parts. They all have Metro stations.

• JessH's Profile Photo

by JessH Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM

taxis are very cheap compared to Europe or the US, so taxis are the way to go in Dubai unless you are right next to a metro station :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Dubai