Drunen Travel Answers

change location

Looking for an old family windmill.....................

by Lilly2963 Online Now Dec 11, 2005 at 5:56 PM

Hi,
I am searching for information on a windmill my grandfather's family owned. It said Manders on the side, it was still there in the 1970's as my parents visited there. I would like to bring my children to see it, if it is still standing. It was built in the mid 1800's. I would so appreciate any information you may have. Thanks so much.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

RE: Looking for an old family windmill.....................

by ATLC Online Now Dec 11, 2005 at 10:14 PM

To answer your question after some research: yes, it still seems to be there.

It was Jan Manders that got a permit to build a windmill in 1832. However he didn't build it and had the permit renewed in 1839.

There's a fairly long document (in Dutch):

erstelinghe.nl/diversen/Jan%...

Anyway, another website says it is known as the 'Hertogin van Brabant' (the Duchess of Brabant) but it seems to be in a grave state of decline, there is no miller and the windmill is not in working order.

A photo can be seen here (including address of the owner):

molens.nl/cgi/molen/db.cgi?d...
    There's also a phone number mentioned: +31 416-372338

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Looking for an old family windmill.....................

by Lilly2963 Online Now Dec 12, 2005 at 5:50 AM

Oh THANK YOU ! THANK YOU so very much ! How did you find this information ? Oh how I wish I could read in Dutch ! I will try to contact the new owner and we WILL visit !! I can't thank you enough for helping me I am so GRATEFUL !

• ATLC's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Looking for an old family windmill.....................

by ATLC Online Now Dec 13, 2005 at 8:21 AM

You're very welcome. Let me know how it went and if I can help along the way, you could e-mail me direct at ATLC@vtmail.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines