Drogheda Travel Answers

change location
Gichuck's Profile Photo

Getting to Battle of the Boyne heritage site by foot, bus or bike?

by Gichuck Online Now May 31, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Advice welcomed. I'm hoping to go from Dublin to the Battle of the Boyne heritage site at Oldbridge, near Drogheda. Is it possible to walk from Drogheda bus or train station, i.e. how far is it? Bus Eireann told me that the Drogheda to Slane bus does not go near the entrance to the site. Also, where exactly is the entrance? Many thanks, GI Chuck, Cabinteely, Dublin 18.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Waoife's Profile Photo

Re: Getting to Battle of the Boyne heritage site by foot, bus or bike?

by Waoife Online Now Jun 1, 2010 at 3:57 AM

According to Google maps it's about a 2 mile walk from the town centre so it's do-able by foot :)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Gichuck's Profile Photo

Re: Getting to Battle of the Boyne heritage site by foot, bus or bike? Walking is healthy

by Gichuck Online Now Jun 1, 2010 at 4:13 AM

Thanks Waoife, I'll see what the weather is like on the day, but I reckon I'll walk it, just like our ancestors would have, without a second thought. GI Chuck

• JHShanahan's Profile Photo

by JHShanahan Online Now Jun 17, 2011 at 2:01 AM

You might check the distance again. Your walk would have to be done via the Donore Road and through the Village of Donore. Overall, its 5 miles and would have to be done on a road used extensively by lorries going to and from several quarries in the area. Better idea -- save your walking energies for a lovely hike up in the Cooley Mountains and take the CIE bus to Newgrange.

• Gichuck's Profile Photo

by Gichuck Online Now Aug 24, 2011 at 7:54 AM

I'm finally getting around to visiting the Battle of the Boyne site at Oldbridge. Since I first asked the question, back in May, Bus Eireann have introduced, or re-introduced, a bus service (the 163) which leaves Drogheda Bus Station and arrives at the Battle of the Boyne Visitor Centre at 1126. The return journey leaves the BBVC at 1458, makes the relatively short journey to Donore village and the Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre (to pick up passengers from Newgrange) and arrives Drogheda at 1525. If, like me, you are travelling from Dublin, you can link with the 163 by catching the 100X bus at 1000hrs from Custom House Quay which arrives at Drogheda Bus Station at 1100hrs. On the way home, you can catch the 1600hrs 100X bus from Drogheda to Dublin (Georges Quay). In summary, the 163 runs two services per day, both describing an anticlockwise circle, beginning and ending at Drogheda Bus Station.

I'll be interested to see if the bus schedules allow me long enough to see and do everything I want to at the battle site. (from GI Chuck)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines