Dover Travel Answers

change location

Heathrow to Dover and back

by grannybbandboys Online Now May 2, 2004 at 5:33 PM

I am arriving at Heathrow with 2 children, and need help with luggage, and reliable private transportation to seaport in Dover, and to return to Heathrow. Possibly, going by Bath and Stonehenge on return to Heathrow - 12 days later.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • zontania's Profile Photo

Re: Heathrow to Dover and back

by zontania Online Now May 3, 2004 at 9:16 PM

I would book a mini cab via Addison Lee on arrival. They are not cheap but they are reliable and they use good cars. You would need to phone them on arrival and they will tell you where to meet your driver. http://www.addisonlee.com/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • chrishc's Profile Photo

by chrishc Online Now May 4, 2004 at 6:02 AM

Bath and Stonehenge are in the opposite direction. Star Taxis who are based in Dover would be a far better option for a private hire transfer but the cost will still be in the region of £85 from Heathrow to Dover. Addison Lee would cost you an arm and a leg and are basically a City businessman type of company (i.e. expense account work a speciality).

• zontania's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Heathrow to Dover and back

by zontania Online Now May 4, 2004 at 7:20 AM

Chris I am not sure your Dover mini cab company would travel all the way to Heathrow to pick up this lady and the children without charging for the petrol. So the £85 trip you are estimating could well cost over £120. At least Addison Lee will pick up from the airport and take you places without charging extra, they are dependable and as they use mini vans would be ideal for this little group and all their luggage. Also regarding the Bath and Stonehedge trip, I would suggest they book a day trip through Evan Evans and stay a night in London to rest (which also saves the trouble of carrying their luggage around or finding a place to store it). From Dover to London and beyond, I agree that it would be better to use a local firm.

• chrishc's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Heathrow to Dover and back

by chrishc Online Now May 4, 2004 at 8:47 AM

Oh they would, they are only one of a number of companies that would do the job if they are paid in advance. The charges are one way as with the London companies, this way the dead mileage for the driver comes before the job rather than the return. Addi Lee would likely charge in the region of £175 for Heathrow to Dover if they don't charge running mileage to get out to the airport from central London. A Dover or regional company would not need to pay their driver the exorbitant London rate and consequently would do the journey for a lot less.

• nhcram's Profile Photo

by nhcram Online Now May 27, 2004 at 9:18 AM

Star Taxis are reliable and will go to Heathrow if they are paid in advance. I speak from experience. The cost is £105 (I checked with them first!) The other thing you could do is to take a taxi to Charing Cross station and take the train to Dover. Kids love trains!!!I hope it works out with you.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines