Douro Travel Answers

change location

Douro Valley tour

by Alanbred Online Now Oct 29, 2010 at 3:29 AM

My wife and I frequently travel by car from UK to southern Spain (Granada area) and would like to do a combined train/boat trip on the Douro river. Unfortunately most of the trips start and finish in Porto. We want to travel from Spain (ideally somewhere on the Spanish Douro)to Porto and return to Spain.
Any suggestions please?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • cubsur's Profile Photo

Re: Douro Valley tour

by cubsur Online Now Oct 29, 2010 at 6:58 AM

You can join a cruise at the border town of Barca d'Alva or Pocinho and go towards Porto, but to my knowledge nothing goes over the border from or into Spain, be it boat, train or bus. The Douro is quite a bit of dead end transport wise.

According to one website, Barca d'Alva is the end of the navigable section of the Douro, which as you say begins in Porto.

Douroazul (www.douroazul.pt) have a one day cruise between Barca d'Alva and Regua but you have to make your own way back, which without a car is impossible, or stay overnight.

You are probably right that all the cruises originate in Porto or Regua, travel east as far as they can and turn back. Many of them use the train to take people back after a day spent on the river.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Douro Valley tour

by Alanbred Online Now Oct 30, 2010 at 5:20 AM

Thanks for both your repies. I will try the relavent tourist offices and see what they say

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines