Dorset Travel Answers

change location

Sandbanks

by stannsenior Online Now Feb 27, 2004 at 7:52 AM

What can anyone tell me about Sandbanks, near Poole? Is there a lot to do around there? A lot of day trip castles, historical things, shopping etc.? I know London is about two hours away - is there a train into London? how easy is traveling without a car? Thank you for any help you can give

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Sandbanks

by GillianMcLaughlin Online Now Feb 27, 2004 at 10:14 AM

Sandbanks itself is a bit soul-less (I should know, I worked a summer in the Haven Hotel right beside the chain ferry). The only things of REAL interest there are one or two of the little beaches (not too crowded) and the fact that John Lennon's famous Aunt Mimi ended her days in the house beside the bus stop near the ferry! Otherwise, I agree, cross over to the Isle of Purbeck and you have fantastic beaches, great walks across the downs, and really wonderful little villages. Corfe village and the castle are like the photos you find on chocolate boxes and biscuit tins. Wareham is a very historical town too, and Swanage is an OK place to base yourself - lots of typical seaside stuff (punch and judy in the summer, ice cream, amusement arcades...) Depends how much time you have really. If you have a car you can get around to places like Lullworth Cove and Blue Pool... but even by bus you can visit Corfe, Wareham and, work your way West towards Dorchester. This is really the area Thomas Hardy wrote about and you'll find lots of references to him. Given the choice I'd be less incluned to stay in Sandbanks, than to work my way round Dorset... it's a beautiful county The train to London stops at Wareham, Poole and Bournemouth. Enjoy yourself

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Dorset Travel Answer Locations