Dorchester Travel Answers

change location
londonlover's Profile Photo

The area around Dorchester

by londonlover Online Now Mar 13, 2007 at 3:01 PM

I'm doing a driving tour of southwest England in September, and I'm planning on staying one night in Abbotsbury, just outside Dorchester. The town of Abbotsbury looks adorable, and we were planning to take a walk on one of the paths near the coast there, then drive into Dorchester and take a walking tour of Thomas Hardy landmarks, then visit his home near there.

Does that sound like a good plan? Any pro's/con's on the area, or good tips for places to eat in Abbotsbury or Dorchester? Thanks!

Tara

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Britannia2's Profile Photo

RE: The area around Dorchester

by Britannia2 Online Now Mar 15, 2007 at 3:27 PM

We were there last July - you can see the photos on my pages. Abbotsbury is a beautiful village but we stayed near Beaminster so did not look at accommodation or eating facilities.
    Dorchester is a good town to visit too and I have some photos on my pages too.
    No real cons - the locals are not always too tourist oriented despite the fact tourists pump a lot of money in to the local economy - I got the impression is small places that tourists were a nuisance.
    Beware that there were two Thomas Hardy's - if you read my pages you will see why.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines