Doha Travel Answers

change location

8 hr stopover

by barbarah8879 Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM

we are flying from Austria through Doha to Vietnam. We have approx. 8 hrs. 6:05 pm - 1:55 am. First, do we need a visa prior of arrival? i read in one of the answers that it takes over an hr. just to clear the area of getting the visa. is that true? lets say we get out of there by 7:30pm. is there anything else to do except the souk? any malls or such like in dubai? if we arrive back at the airport around midnight, is that early enough? thx!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: 8 hr stopover

by davidjo Online Now Mar 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM

dohaairport.com/en/transport...
    As you see being Austrian you can get a visa upon arrival and it can be an hour to clear immigration but it depends on how busy the airport is. Try get a seat at the front of the plane so you can disembark quickly. And arriving back by midnight should be fine

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • danes0602's Profile Photo

by danes0602 Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 2:38 AM

It's hard to suggest other places to go in the evening. Souq Waqif, is a great area. You can do a lot there. There are shops that sells national Qatari dress, spices, perfumes, exotic incense or even a simple ref magnet as a souvenir. There are shisha spots around as well. Almost all restaurants (from local to international cuisines are there) offers shisha. Let me know if you need a recommendation where you'd like to dine. I can also suggest Museum of Islamic Art (www.mia.org.qa) which is near Souq Waqif but they are until 8pm during Thurs-Sat, and the rest of the days til 5:30pm only.

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

by greekcypriot Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 7:44 AM

For the visa, it won't take you more than 15 minutes. So you have plenty of time for a nice tour in the Souq Waquif. Have in mind that it will be dark so I don't recommend something else. You can take a taxi if you wish and ask the driver to give you a general tour around the city first before he drops you to the Souq Waquif. There are plenty of restaurants and I am sure you will find the stroll interesting -although many spice shops and souvenir shops close earlier. I don't suggest to visit a museum because you don't have the time.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Doha