Djibouti Travel Answers

change location

going to djibouti for a year to work.

by steph0891 Online Now Jul 28, 2010 at 8:23 AM

hi,
i'm going to be there for a year...i was hoping for some detailed information about life there. specifically any military members out there that can give me the 411? thank you in advanced!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: going to djibouti for a year to work.

by Odinnthor Online Now Jul 28, 2010 at 11:45 PM

It is usually best to contact some expat websites for this. Nothing like talking to people that have already done what you are about to do. Here is one.

internations.org/expats/guid...

topix.com/forum/world/djibou...

Without knowing where you are coming from, it is impossible to direct you to military personnel. If you are from the U.S. i would suggest looking up military sites for that purpose. Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: going to djibouti for a year to work.

by Hashis Online Now Aug 1, 2010 at 3:34 AM

Am not in the military but had been there for a number of times.
    It is very hot in the summer-fall. The place is peaceful but under-developed as this mini-state imports everthing it consumes, inclduing water - some newly built bottling companies might be there. The good thing is, there are lots of Europeans and lately Americans, and there you can find all you need for yourself, perhaps at a higher price. The cost of living is high in Djibouti.
    The Dhjibouti franc has been tied to the Us dollar since 1977. Food is relatively expensive so are hotels. Will be difficult initially but you will adjust later as French soldiers and teachers had lived there for decades. The country is very french although English might have made a headway recently, thanks to Uncle Sam's base in Djibout, a fact that bissed off the french who had considered the place as their sacred zone (Chasse-guardez?). Also, Germans are late comers as are Japanese, all to fight against the Somali pirates. Most of the Djiboutians speak somali as their mother language albeit mixed with french words. Miraa, Qat, a mild drug is practised by almost all male Djiboutians - and is sold in the open market. In the region this is a normally traded product. I think i wrote more than i wanted as if i am high on Qat. Let me know what else you need to know about the Djbouti ville.
    Bye

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Djibouti Travel Answer Locations