Djibouti Travel Answers

change location
wls3's Profile Photo

Apartment or villa

by wls3 Online Now Nov 15, 2009 at 12:24 AM

May be relocating in December for some months. Can anyone advise on rental situation/prices in Djiboutiville. Thanks much.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • aggie85's Profile Photo

Re: Apartment or villa

by aggie85 Online Now Dec 7, 2009 at 5:57 AM

Hello,

Welcome to Djibouti; if you are already here. Otherwise here is what I have found living in the city of Djibouti, Republic of Djibouti. All villas that I know of are surrounded by a wall and have a guard, electric generator, water tanks, and generally are in the same area as other villas. Similar to a castle. There are villas being built all over town, so location will be important. I work at Camp Lemonier, so mine is in a French neighborhood across from the French base about 3 miles from the Camp. It is very safe here, you can walk to the market at night. French bread is delivered for .15 cents (yes the bread and delivery is .15 US cents). Most villas are situated like apartments, with different floorplans. The one I am in is a 1,500 sq ft 3 bedroom unit. It has one common kitchen, one common living room, a master bedroom w/bath, a similar sized bedroom, and slightly smaller bedroom, and a bath. Each bedroom is considered its own unit so each is rented out. All bills paid, and that means everything (security guard, daily maid, fuel for generator, electric, water, all repairs), I pay750 USD. You can find less expensive places, and ones that you have to pay for some or all services and utilities. Keep in mind electric is a huge expense, and do not think you can conserve in the summer. Apartments maybe cheaper, but then again you pay for what you get. There are no apartments located in the 'nice' parts of town, so if you are one who can meld in with the populace real easy go for it. Just like any city in the world there are sections of town to avoid. I have a friend who pays1500/mth all bills paid villa. If you need help let me know, I will be here until at least July 2010.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Djibouti Travel Answer Locations