Djibouti Travel Answers

change location

Art in Djibouti

by dobsonmnpeurope Online Now Mar 10, 2008 at 4:48 AM

WE are going to Djibouti end of March 2008 (in 2 weeks) and I like to buy local art (oil paintings, sculptures what is available) Any recommendations ? Addresses of local galleries or type of art to buy ?
Thanks
Ag

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • urungrat's Profile Photo

Re: Art in Djibouti

by urungrat Online Now Mar 10, 2008 at 6:56 AM

Hi!
    I will be there next month, after you are back please share any good restaurant and place to visit.
    I have no idea about painting, but i saw in postcard received, they craft there are also nice.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DAO's Profile Photo

THE WISDOM OF DAO

by DAO Online Now Mar 10, 2008 at 2:01 PM

Hi,

There are 2 markets that almost run into each other. There are loads of souvenir places along the Av. Roosevelt. Frankly, its a lot of overpriced 'tat'. I looked at my copy of 'Jib Out' and there are no advertisements for any art galleries. Your hotel could help you. Where are you staying?

You could always pop over to the Hotel Kempinski (Tip with details on my main Djibouti page). I found them really helpful with any information and they never asked me if I was a guest (I wasn't).

Good luck,

DAO

• Re: Art in Djibouti

by dobsonmnpeurope Online Now Mar 21, 2008 at 11:02 AM

I will give you all the info I get to virtual tourist.
    It seems the markets are not very good (see3 answer below) and if you want anything you need to find the local artists and go direct...(I read this in a Frecnh guide book), we are one day in Djibouti then going on a boat so the info might be limited. I will check out the French alliance they should have an art gallery or something.

• Re: Art in Djibouti

by globaltravler Online Now Jun 13, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Hey..I hope that you enjoyed your trip. Any recommendations to art galleries? I will be visiting there soon and I'm trying to get as much information as possible. Thanks.

• urungrat's Profile Photo

Re: Art in Djibouti

by urungrat Online Now Jun 18, 2008 at 8:12 AM

i bought some painting from street market but look dirty. I saw at Ethiopia airport sell same kind of prosucts, look better and price is about the same.
    Need to negotiate a lot,

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Djibouti Travel Answer Locations