Djibouti Travel Answers

change location

The first 10 Watch out in Djibouti

by zori82 Online Now Nov 21, 2007 at 6:43 AM

Hello there!
I'm going to go in Djibouti in January and I would like to know more about the country. If there is someone of you living there I would be grateful if he/she could help me with some info...
Apparently, I'm going to stay there for long period of time and I will definitely need to know more.
For example:What are "the first 10 Watch out in Djibouti"?
Thanks for your answers in advance!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • squidly2's Profile Photo

Re: The first 10 Watch out in Djibouti

by squidly2 Online Now Nov 21, 2007 at 8:21 AM

Watch out for land mines, malaria, and AIDS.
    There is some good SCUBA diving there if that interests you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: The first 10 Watch out in Djibouti

by Zarrah Online Now Jan 3, 2008 at 11:40 AM

I am just coming back from Djibouti and will make a list for you. Depending on why you're there, you may love or hate Djibouti. It is a small place full of contrasts and not your usual tourist destination.

You will love Djibouti if you're going for diving and adventure tourism. The hinterland is much nicer than the Capital with salted lakes (Lake Assal is the deepest site in Africa and the 3rd deepest in the world), nice beaches not yet too polluted by tourists (Moucha island), Goubet El-Kharab old volcano...if you like geology, nature and beautiful landscapes you will love Djibouti.

Djibouti-ville, the Capital city doesn't have many attractions...and if you're going for a long period, you will see everything it has...go to the Tourism Commission in downtown.

Everything is expensive in Djibouti.

The weather is very hot in the "hot" season (June-July-August-September)and 45 degre celcius isn't uncommon but much nicer in the "colder" months. In July August, it is also very dry with the dry wind Khamsin bringing dust. Don't worry about the heat, it probably will protect you from diseases just worry about your electricity bill :-)

Here are some of the great things in Djibouti: you will be extremely safe in Djibouti...you won't have to worry about being shot or killed because you're wearing nice clothes or seem rich. But count on the street children and their parents to harrass you...Djibouti host a large number of refugees from Ethiopia...economic refugees who collect money in Djibouti to go back "rich" in their villages later. It is very unfortunate the government doesn't find a solution for them to either build shelters and feed them or refuse them entering the country. Because of them, Djibouti is becoming so dirty...I couldn't recognize the place I grew up.

You can find almost everything you're used at the grocery stores.

I didn't take a vaccine because I don't believe in vaccines but you may need one just to eliminate the risk. Even though, Malaria is rare in Djibouti because the country is too dry as I was told by local doctors and friends. But in the cold season, you may use mosquito repellent lotions and "mousticaire" (mosquito screen?) if you are very sensitive to itching like myself.

If you see men with red teeth, don't worry you're not in Transylvania and Djibouti doesn't have vampires. It is the Qat effect...if you don't know the Majesty Qat or Khat, welcome to Qat City and Qat kingdom.

I could give you more info the type tourists don't learn if needed and hopefully I will be up to date (have been away for most of the last 10 years).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Djibouti