Distrito de Évora Travel Answers

change location
lugubres's Profile Photo

Megalith - Cromlech of Almendres - driving instruction

by lugubres Online Now Jul 29, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Hi

I am researching for my trip in the fall (October) and would like to know how to drive from Evora to Cromlech of Almendres (95 elliptical stones). Is it easy to follow the signs?

Also is it straight forward from there to Tavira?

I'm afraid that I'll get totally lost and stranded. It will be my first time driving in Europe. Directions and useful tips are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • puerto_lover's Profile Photo

Re: Megalith - Cromlech of Almendres - driving instruction

by puerto_lover Online Now Jul 30, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Hi!
    I think you may find that using Google Maps can help you. I use them for getting driving directions as well as opening views of streets or photos.

for example if you open http://maps.google.com/
    and insert (copy and paste) these coordinates into the search box you should see a new map showing the location of the Cromlech of Almendres

38.557778,-8.061389

Then go to the top left and see Driving Directions and put in the first box the address that you are starting from.

Then a new map showing the suggested route will follow.

Then for any other route you can do the same thing. Start and finish address is all you need. And you can add other destinations or vary your route if you want !. Try dragging the route to go via another place ? It will recalculate the time of the route and distance.

And you have a satellite view as well as a street/map view.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • globetrott's Profile Photo

by globetrott Online Now Jul 30, 2010 at 6:19 AM

Going by car or taxi to this prehistoric stone-ring is the best option, it is in a distance of about 15 km from Evora, at first over the better road #114, then some km on a dusty road without asphalt, always following the signposts with the inscription of Cromeleque/menir dos Almendres
    One way took us about 20 minutes and at many places we had to speed down for "sleeping policemen"
    The taxiride was 8 euros for each person, so you should calculate around 32 euros for a taxi taking you there and back and giving you about 15-20 minutes there to enjoy the special place, make some photos and drive back to Evora again.
    The village of Guadalupe is about 1 km from the stone-ring,maybe there is a public bus going there from Evora as well, but I could not see any busstation in that small village.

this info is taken from my page about this place:
    members.virtualtourist.com/m...

• lugubres's Profile Photo

by lugubres Online Now Jul 30, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Thank you everyone for the wonderful tips & info.

Now has anyone used a GPS driving in Portugal? Do you lose signals? I will be covering several cities in Portugal, Braga, Coimbra, Aveiro, Evora, Tomar, Fatima, Alcobaca, Algarve areas.... Is it better to buy my own updated map or rent the gps in the rental car?

Thanks in advance.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Distrito de Évora Travel Answer Locations