Dingle Travel Answers

change location

Dingle Peninsula or Aran Islands??

by GioFiaNio Online Now Mar 23, 2006 at 1:05 PM

I would appreciate any insight that could be offered from someone that has experienced both the Dingle Peninsula and Inishmoor (Aran Islands). I will only be able visit one or the other because of logistics and time constraints. I will be in Ireland the last weekend of May. I have heard great things about both and I know that each have their unique qualities, but I can only visit one of them. I will have 1 full day and 1 night to dedicate to whichever place I choose. Please help!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • orlikins's Profile Photo

RE: Dingle Peninsula or Aran Islands??

by orlikins Online Now Mar 23, 2006 at 1:28 PM

Aran Islands would be easier to get to - only a teeny tiny flight from Galway city, whereas it takes ages to reach Dingle(although it is worth it)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Dingle Peninsula or Aran Islands??

by Roadquill Online Now Mar 23, 2006 at 4:21 PM

My daughter says Aran Islands. Take the ferry and rent a bike. There are 6-7 abandoned forts/temples that you can visit, walk through, peer over the cliff, then there are shopping and food places, but not near the crowds of Dingle.

• blanter's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Dingle Peninsula or Aran Islands??

by blanter Online Now Mar 24, 2006 at 12:57 AM

I have been to Dingle but not to Aran Islands. I found only one interesting thing over there, which is the Oratory. If you are not interesting in seeing it (it takes 10 minutes anyway), I would not recommend travelling to Dingle. As far as landscapes are concerned, in my opinion there is no comparison with the nearby Iveragh peninsula.

• PeteNL's Profile Photo

by PeteNL Online Now Mar 24, 2006 at 2:08 AM

Hi,

Haven't been to Aran (yet) but I also heard good stories - and as Orla said it's pretty easy to fly/sail over there from Galway. If it's "special" islands in general you're looking for, you can also see them near Dingle: just take a boattrip to the Blasket islands from Dingle, it's great hiking around there for a day!

Though for a really special island experience I would recommend the Skelligs off Iveragh peninsula (Ring of Kerry), which you can combine with Valentia island. Another gem is Dursey island off Beara Peninsula, which is less touristy than Dingle or Iveragh.

Have a nice trip!

P.

• globetrott's Profile Photo

by globetrott Online Now Mar 24, 2006 at 2:53 AM

I have been to both places and would say it depends on the means of transportation you have:
    When you travel by bus,train etc. Aran is easy to get to by ferry from Galway or Rossaveal (ca.25 Euros return) or by bus from Galway to Spiddal and from there by plane to Aran (45 Euros return).
    When you have a rented car, Dingle is a great option : Gallarus Oratory, Kilkmedar, the great Atlantic Drive and the Blasket islands, the beehive-huts, Funghi the Dolphin and not to forget : the traditional music in many pubs in Dingle-town.
    Aran is very quiet, a great place to go and to see ireland, like it was hundred years ago.
    Dingle is quite touristy with busloads of young people...

• RE: Dingle Peninsula or Aran Islands??

by GioFiaNio Online Now Mar 24, 2006 at 10:18 AM

I appreciate all of your responses and suggestions. Thank you!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines