Dinan Travel Answers

change location

Language and Communication

by Elfbeaver Online Now Apr 24, 2005 at 5:12 AM

Hello,
English is the only European language I speak. Dinan looks like such a lovely place to visit. I am worried as I speak no French. (Had a slight communication problem in France years ago, but managed to get by with some hand gestures and many broad smiles.) Would I be able to get around in Dinan with English?
Thank you.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • rexvaughan's Profile Photo

RE: Language and Communication

by rexvaughan Online Now Apr 24, 2005 at 9:27 PM

We spent only a day in Dinan last fall and had no trouble. We speak only English and that did not present any problems. It is of course always a good (and polite) idea to learn some basic words and phrases of greeting and gratitude but English is spoken most places in France. Dinan is indeed a lovely city and we hope to return there one day. Have a great time in lovely France.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Language and Communication

by derry Online Now Apr 27, 2005 at 3:46 PM

Dinan has a lot of English-speaking visitors so you should have no problems. However, you will - understandably - often get better service if you make the effort to at least try a phrase or two in French (it's the effort more than the success that's appreciated!!). Even just asking 'parlez-vous anglais?' before launching into English will make a difference.

• Re: Language and Communication

by bottlebank Online Now Jul 3, 2007 at 6:10 PM

The Dinan/St Malo area is heavily populated with English and Channel Island visitors and residents. English is almost the second language but, of course, the use of even a few French words will be much appreciated.

• guernseydonkey's Profile Photo

Re: Language and Communication

by guernseydonkey Online Now Aug 10, 2007 at 12:54 PM

I visit a few times a year, and i have to sadly say i speak no French but it has never been a problem.
    As has been said a lot of channel islanders love and visit Dinan often so we are well catered for.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines