Dijon Travel Answers

change location

Walking trails

by rukivverh Online Now Oct 17, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Hello everyone,

I will be in Dijon for 2 days in late November. I was wondering if you could recommend any walking trails (along Burgundy channel maybe) for 1/2 day if the weather permits.

I am also interested in short trips by bus/train to nearby villages. Any suggestions are welcome.

Merci beaucoup d'avance.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • KathyGh's Profile Photo

Re: Walking trails

by KathyGh Online Now Oct 18, 2010 at 1:37 AM

Try putting
    dijon randonnees into google search.

When we go walking in France, I either buy books online before I go, or buy them in a large local supermarket ~ they usually have a good selection on the shelves where the books are. Large Supermarkets normally sell walking maps as well (although they aren't as good as our OS Maps ! )

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • KathyGh's Profile Photo

by KathyGh Online Now Oct 18, 2010 at 1:39 AM

That should have read

When we go walking in France, I either buy WALKING books online before I go, or buy them in a large local supermarket

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Oct 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM

If you look at a map (like www.googlemaps.com for example) you will see a lot of places west of Dijon (so to the right...) ending with ...-en-Morvan.

The Morvan is a fantastic region for hiking, a bit darkish as the Morvan is a huge forested region. There are also some lakes and quaint villages. From Mont Beuvray you have a great panoramic view, also of significance as a rich and most important place (named Bibracte) of Gaul before the Roman invasion. It is the largest archaelogical site in Europe and a national historic site. There is also a significant museum (free and unguided tours). If you do not find Mont Beuvray on the map, look for Glux-en-Glenne or Saint-Léger-sous-Beuvray (museum).

The Morvan is also a good place for kayaking and mountainbiking. Really a laid-back region with friendly people.

There are some major hiking tracks:

Something for people who cannot get enough hiking ;-))) is the Tour du Morvan which is a 220 km track which goes past most of the region’s big lakes.

You can look up more walking tracks if you check out the national walking track network named Sentiers de Grandes Randonnées (= GR).

GR 7 leads past Dijon rather closely, and GR 2 leads from/to Dijon to/from Chatillon-sur-Seine. There you can walk as much as you want, starting in Dijon. Just ask for advice and a map at the tourist info.

The local hiking club is the Comité Départemental de la Randonnée Pédestre of the department Cote d’Or in Dijon.

There is also a cycling track along the Canal de Bourgogne which you can use for walking. See more info here:
    cotedor-tourisme.com/bourgog...

But perhaps you would be interested in cycling as well? (At least you would get further and see more in the same time frame ;-))

Great places to explore in the vicinity are Beaune (beautiful town), Nuits St. Georges (famous wine), Autun (great little place with rich Roman history and relics, founded by the Romans, still with the ancient city wall, an amphitheatre and a Janus temple) etc.

There are lots of castles to be explored, for example Sully (fantastic Renaissance with - as many say - the most beautiful courtyard in France) and Couches (12th century fortress).

The Beaune region is one of the greatest wine regions of Burgundy.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines