Dijon Travel Answers

change location

Travelling Dijon - Zurich

by dyrrachium Online Now Jun 19, 2008 at 4:59 PM

I need to go to Zurich for a 3 day stay from Dijon. Train tickets for the trip are around 290. I called a Hertz in Dijon and got quoted 105 euros for 3 days. Do you recommend that I drive or should I rather take the train and pay the extra. How hard is it to drive in Europe, especially Dijon - ZUrich?

Please give me your thoughts.

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

Re: Travelling Dijon - Zurich

by ATLC Online Now Jun 19, 2008 at 8:33 PM

Roads are good, so it's not hard to drive at all.
    Use http://old.viamichelin.com to make a route to Zurich. You can choose most direct, scenic, etc.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kathymof's Profile Photo

by kathymof Online Now Jun 19, 2008 at 9:26 PM

I am assuming the 290 is euros - this seems very high - I went out to SBB http://www.sbb.ch/en/ and found a trip with a single transfer and high speed train that was only 71 euros. Given the price of gas and probably parking, a round trip at 140 euros would be a better deal than driving. Check the above web site to see if you can get something better.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 19, 2008 at 11:42 PM

I agre that the return price for the train seems excessively high. However, the SNCF defaults to Raileurope on my computer (very irritating....I must find and delete that cookie) so fares include their commission (Raileurope is an agency); the same may well have occurred with the OP.

Even so, my return fare via Raileurope was only 165 euros, or thereabouts. There is no need at all to travel first-class, which might have put up the total train fare: second-class is perfectly fine.

It is definitely worth checking costs again, as the price for the car hire seems very low (especially as it is going out of France). The cost of petrol, road tolls and (maybe) parking needs to be added to the rental charge.

• JLBG's Profile Photo

by JLBG Online Now Jun 20, 2008 at 12:24 AM

On the Sncf website, the regular price would be around 160 € but can be lower depending of the day, if you are liable of reduced fare, etc.

I cannot believe the Herz price but anyway you must add petrol (35 euros) and highway fares in France and in Switzerland (42 euros). However, driving is really easy, no problems.

• Re: Travelling Dijon - Zurich

by K_V_B Online Now Jun 20, 2008 at 7:15 AM

Don't forget to add parking. Free parking is virtually nonexistent in Swiss cities.

by kathymof Online Now Jun 20, 2008 at 9:21 AM

The only way to stay away from Rail Europe with the Voyages SNCF is to stay on the France part of the web site which means you need to negotiate just a bit in French but it is pretty easy to do.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Jun 20, 2008 at 10:27 AM

yes, that's good advice: www.voyages-sncf.com is the website you need.

by kathymof Online Now Jun 20, 2008 at 12:24 PM

I found the best deal at the Swiss site http://www.sbb.ch/en/

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 20, 2008 at 12:28 PM

But if one leaves from and returns to Dijon then one cannot (I assume) buy tickets via the Swiss site: their tickets would be Zurich>Dijon>Zurich.

by kathymof Online Now Jun 20, 2008 at 12:42 PM

Actually I did Dijon- Zurich-Dijon on the Swiss site - it would work if an online reservation with paperless ticket could be made.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 20, 2008 at 10:46 PM

That's probably worth a try then.

• Re: Travelling Dijon - Zurich

by dyrrachium Online Now Jun 21, 2008 at 7:00 PM

Thanks for all your input on this. I was able to find smth via sbb.ch for240 roundtrip. I would prefer driving, but am not sure how hard it will be ... car rental was 105 euros - maybe about 70 euros for gas, toll charges, and taxes ... comes out to about the same. I like having the car because of the flexibility, yet again I'm afraid it may get confusing. Also hoping to use the car to do some sight seeing as I'm meeting my brother who is currently visiting Zurich.

A note to user: kathymof - Dr. Moffit, it's a small world. I was your student for IS158 (renaldo). :)

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Jun 21, 2008 at 10:26 PM

http://old.viamichelin.com tells you that this route includes (one-way of course):

Time and distance
    Time: 03h22 including 02h57 on motorways
    Distance: 339km including 325km on motorways
    Costs 79.16 EUR
    broken down into:
    Toll costs: 14.70 EUR
    Petrol costs: 37.46 EUR
    Road tax cost: 27.00 EUR

That means for a round trip you should calculate about 160 euro in addition to your rental car costs.
    The route is simple, with only 2 changes of motorway along the route. For the rest it's straight on :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines