Dijon Travel Answers

change location
cup0joe's Profile Photo

How do I book train or bus from Paris to Dijon

by cup0joe Online Now Sep 27, 2005 at 10:01 AM

Hello all!
I am having great difficulty booking train or bus travel from Paris to Dijon. I don't know the exact names of the terminal for departure. The website for booking seems to want exact.
http://www.sncf.com/indexe.htm

Maybe I can just pruchase tickets in Paris? If so where? Or London in advance?

Also is there a great difference in price booking the slow train verses the fast?

Is it possible to get a quote for slow vs. fast from the same company? Or are they run by different train companies?

I had read that there is a reduced rate for booking 8 days in advance. Which train company might that be with? SNCF or TVG?

Lots of questions. Thanks for any help here! And any hints of nice countryside places around Dijon to take a slow bike ride to...

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • mariev's Profile Photo

RE: How do I book train or bus from Paris to Dijon

by mariev Online Now Sep 27, 2005 at 10:26 AM

For me the SNCF works fine using Paris and Dijon as start and arrival station
    If you want the precise ones, it's PARIS GARE DE LYON and DIJON VILLE
    Fast trains are 1h30 - slow 2h50
    34.90 full price for the TER (slow train)
    49.00 full price for the TGV (fast train) but you can find special prices from 19.00 Euros on (only for the TGV), for those specials you have to book early enough (there is a limited number of seats offered and they sell fast)
    Both TGV and TER are operated by SNCF (the only national operator)
    Of course you can buy tickets in a railway station in Paris (but you will get the full priced tickets)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mydreamquest's Profile Photo

RE: How do I book train or bus from Paris to Dijon

by mydreamquest Online Now Sep 27, 2005 at 10:36 AM

Hi There,

I had similar questions as you did when I went to Europe. The following web site is very helpful in planning your train travel in Europe:

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...

To use it:

1. Click "To use, start by clicking here"
    2. There will be a from and to section, simply enter the cities. You do not have to worry about the station name (that will be indicated in the next steps)

To determine the cost and types of trains and services, costs, etc., enter the time and day you are leaving (Day/Month/Year format);

Then click "search connection"

3. It will then ask for the number of travelers and your age, just add an age of 18. Let's just enter 25 for the sake of this example. Then hit search for connection.

4. You will then see a list of train schedules based on the time table you indicated in step 2.

5. To see the actual name of the train stations, select one of the train departure times by clicking the box next to it and then click "details for selection." This will give you the exact times and names of stations.

Note the comments section. This will let you know if you need to make reservations. Pricing information can be there.

In the example I looked at, it indicates that the train will be departing from Paris to Dijon from the "Paris Lyon" Station.

It will also indicate the terminal; otherwise, do not panic; just get to the train station ahead of time so that you can find the terminal.

Yes you can purchase tickets either in London or Paris. If in London, go to one of the primary stations (Stations that have outer city train travel; I think in London Liverpool St. Station is one and in Paris Gare du Nord or Paris Lyon are such stations too).

Any information booth at a train station will be able to direct you to the proper place. To purchase tickets, you can simply go to a ticket counter. But to make it easier, print out the train schedule you want to take in order to avoid any misunderstandings. The ticket person will then indicate the price to you and you can double check to see if reservations are required and that the time table and date is exactly what you want.

Also is there a great difference in price booking the slow train verses the fast?

Yes, slower trains are more expensive. That web site should be able to give you an idea on cost. Also the difference between 1st and 2nd Class tickets will affect the cost too.

Is it possible to get a quote for slow vs. fast from the same company? Yes, the site above will indicate that.

Or are they run by different train companies? Not to worry, the above site should help you determine cost.

• cup0joe's Profile Photo

RE: RE: How do I book train or bus from Paris to Dijon

by cup0joe Online Now Sep 27, 2005 at 10:54 AM

ummm, How do I say wow in French?

Thank you both so much! Vous remercier si beaucoup !

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines