Dieppe Travel Answers

change location

old hotel?

by rwalton Online Now Apr 28, 2012 at 2:43 AM

In a novel set pre World War One an English couple travel to Dieppe, go to the Cafe des Tribunaux, and stay in a hotel described as ornate. In hotel guides I can't find a Dieppe-area hotel fitting the description. Has an older (nineteenth century or very early twentieth century) hotel survived? I'd love to visit it.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: old hotel?

by ranger49 Online Now Apr 28, 2012 at 4:14 AM

Although the famous Cafe des Tribunnaux is featured in the novel unless the hotel is name it could be fictitious.

The only two older nearby hotels I can think of are the Au Grand Dusquesne in Place St Jacques and, a little further away, Les Arcades in Les Arcades de la Bourse. I should mention it is 7 or 8 years since I stayed in Dieppe and that time in a seafront modern hotel round the corner from Les Arcades.

It is also possible that some buildings/hotels close to the harbour were damaged or destroyed in WW2.
    If you are a fan of older, small hotels should you ever visit Lille I would recommend Hotel Breughel near the church of St Maurice - close to the station but almost in the heart of the old town.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: old hotel?

by gwened Online Now Apr 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM

yes its fictitious, of course.

the hotel de la plage is very nice facing the beach. where we had stayed, plagehotel.pagesperso-orange...
    and this one sits on the location where Canadians storm the shores in WWII
    hotelwindsor.fr/hotel_gb.htm...

Dieppe is very nice, and see the market for a great cheese, a great kick in the A.. , right by the St Jacques church. enjoy the trip

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines