Dhahran Travel Answers

change location
gmy5824's Profile Photo

No Beer

by gmy5824 Online Now Sep 4, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I am a nurse (RN-MSN) looking at a position in Dhahran - I read the con "no beer" is it correct there is no alcohol in the entire country?
bert

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: No Beer

by leics Online Now Sep 4, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Saudi Arabia does not allow the production, import or consumption of alcohol. There are (potentially severe) penalties for doing any of those things.

You may find the US government advice

travel.state.gov/travel/cis_...

and the UK FCO information:

ukinsaudiarabia.fco.gov.uk/e...

useful.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Sep 4, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Saudi Arabia = very fundamentalist Muslim country. No alcohol allowed anywhere.

• Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Sep 4, 2011 at 2:37 PM

There's always a way. Just like you can find cocaine in the US, you can find alcohol in Saudi. That said, the penalties aren't really worth it. Follow the Saudis across the bridge to Bahrain and party till you drop (where it's legal).

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Sep 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I say this not from personal experience but because it's something that we home winemakers talk about... you know that we have "non-alcoholic" beer in the West...however, such beer normally has about 0.25% alcohol (in the US, the requirement is that it have less than 0.5%). As such, even though it would be all but impossible to abuse such a drink, I had heard that even such "non-alcoholic" beer is not allowed in Saudi.

The only non-alcoholic beer allowed in Saudi, so I am told, is a malt drink that absolutely, positively contains 0.00% alcohol, and which, I suspect, doesn't taste much like beer at all...anybody ever heard of this?

Bill

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Sep 4, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Your profile lists you as female. Your profile photo makes it appear that you are actually a couple.

Either way, it may also be helpful for you to read up on the various other prohibitions that anyone female is likely to encounter. For example, driving (though according to the news accounts I have read there have been some fairly extensive protests about that particular prohibition recently and maybe at some point in the future driving will be allowed.) and going out in public without a member of the family with you, and countless other restrictions. Even things like buying underwear can be a major problem due to some of the arcane laws governing who is allowed to accompany women when they buy things, and the fact that women are not allowed to be shop keepers (though I think there has finally been some easing of the restrictions surrounding buying and selling women's clothing due to the logistical problems created).

The laws of the country are such that western men might find the restrictions tolerable, but a number of women might not. This is based on any of the conversations I have had with families that have spent time there for employment reasons. The restrictions on what women are allowed to do really bears some looking into if living there as a couple is to be a serious consideration for the long term, and due to the restrictions on having to have a male relative with you when you go outside makes life quite difficult and restrictive if you plan to live there as a woman without a husband or other male relative to accompany you.

• JessH's Profile Photo

by JessH Online Now Sep 5, 2011 at 2:37 AM

very well said, Glenn.
    Saudi Arabia may well be tolerable for Western men, but for women it's a whole other set of rules.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines