Dhahran Travel Answers

change location

safety, pets, amenities

by Leslieand Online Now Dec 5, 2006 at 7:42 PM

Will I be able to bring my German Shephard dog and do the townhouses and modules have fenced in yards? Is she safe there?

Are we safe there as Americans? Are people still leaving because of safety concerns? Are there more Saudis in the compound and how do they feel about the Americans?

How much are groceries and are there a lot of veggies and fruits and natural foods like brown rice flour and soy milk? If not can I order food by the case to be shipped to me?

Is there a library? A fitness club with exercise machines and weight machines?

Are there religious services in the compound? How tolerate would the compound be of a Buddhist?

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • RE: safety, pets, amenities

by djferros Online Now Dec 11, 2006 at 11:57 AM

Muslims belive the dog is dirty, inparticular the saliva. Recently, in England there has been a problem with muslim taxi drivers refusing to pick up blind people with guide dogs.

You are safe if you an American muslim. Not really if you are Christian though.
    There is a library, all other holy books accept for the Koran are banned.

There are no temples or churches in Saudi Arabia. The practise of ANY other religion is banned, whether you are Christian or buddhist. All other temples of worship have now been destroyed. Do not attempt to bring any forms of buddhist material into saudi arabia or it will be removed and destroyed.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • eFahad's Profile Photo

Re: safety, pets, amenities

by eFahad Online Now Sep 19, 2008 at 11:19 PM

Dude, forget what you read/see/hear in the media !
    Things are much different here. We've got everything a human need ! People here are peaceful and more on the Naïve side to be honest. Your religious believes will not stop you from living normally. Compounds are heavily guarded and it has the best safety measures, shopping trips and entertainment facilities.

Having a dog is no problem, a lot of people got dogs here but it's somehow annoying or offensive to community (things are getting better now) to walk it in public places. So, you walk it inside the camp or on the beach. You've got to check with the compound policy for having a dog !

Natural & animal food is available all the way! The best supermarket is "Al Tamimi Safeway". Part of the international "Safeway" chain. It's open 24/7 and it should have everything you need.
    I hope you find it a useful answer!
    Let me know if you need further help, I’ll try my best to answer your inquiries.

Have a safe trip and enjoyable stay in Saudi Arabia,

• Re: safety, pets, amenities

by Leslieande Online Now Dec 15, 2008 at 12:39 PM

To eFahad or anyone else. Thanks for answers. Do you fell safe these days in the compounds? Is it safe to visit outside the compounds? Can women run outdoors in shorts? Is there a city center where people meet or is it mainly through groups? Do you know of any Buddhists who live in the compound?
    Thanks.

• eFahad's Profile Photo

Re: safety, pets, amenities

by eFahad Online Now Dec 25, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Dear ..
    There is "0" danger outside compounds walls ! however, women are required to wear somekind of head cover and proper dress. Running in shorts and stuff is only ok insided the compunds and women GYMs (we have plenty in here)..

If you need further information, please let me know,

stay safe always,
    Fahad

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines