Dewey Beach Travel Answers

change location

Is Dewey Beach anyplace to bring a family?

by PittClev Online Now Feb 4, 2006 at 4:40 PM

My extended family is planning a vacation in Dewey beach. I have agreed to bring my family along. I am now starting to have second thoughts! Am I crazy to take a family vacation in Dewey Beach? my kids are 18, 16 and 8 years old.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

RE: Is Dewey Beach anyplace to bring a family?

by travelmad478 Online Now Feb 4, 2006 at 10:23 PM

I have no idea why you would have second thoughts about bringing your kids to the beach! It's not exactly Sodom and Gomorrah over there, if that's what you're worried about. Dewey is the most party-oriented of the Delaware beach towns, but that is in comparison with the super-slow, roll-up-the-sidewalks environment in places like Fenwick Island and Bethany. It's nowhere near the atmosphere of, say, spring break in Daytona. And the beaches are very nice. The kids will have fun at nearby Rehoboth's boardwalk.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ellielou's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Is Dewey Beach anyplace to bring a family?

by ellielou Online Now Feb 5, 2006 at 6:48 AM

well, as usual, Julie's right...Dewey always seems to me to be some big frat party moved the the beach. It's not quite my favorite place...but your 18 & 16 y.o. might love it...

I prefer the "quiet resorts" of the DE beaches: Fenwick Is, S. Bethany, & Benthany. I'm also partial to the area around Cape Henelopen...but that's really quiet.....ahhhhhh.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

by travelmad478 Online Now Feb 5, 2006 at 6:53 AM

> I prefer the "quiet resorts" of the DE beaches: Fenwick Is, S. Bethany, & Benthany. I'm also partial to the area around Cape Henelopen...but that's really quiet.....ahhhhhh.

Ellen, you (and I) are OLD. I am so old I don't even want to go to the beach anymore.

• ellielou's Profile Photo

by ellielou Online Now Feb 5, 2006 at 6:55 AM

ha! ha!
    I'm old, and want to do nothing other than sit by a quiet beach, in the sun, with a book, and listen to the waves....

• RE: Is Dewey Beach anyplace to bring a family?

by dogcat Online Now Feb 7, 2006 at 4:26 PM

Hey.
    Just cruising VT looking for my next beach vacation with the family (with 2 late teens) and came across a post on Dewey Beach, my back yard. Tried to google "beaches like Rehoboth, DE" with no luck, so came here.

Started going to Dewey 30 years ago as a college student when you had to get bottled water. It's gotten more developed but it's "still a kid on spring break"

No doubt. Take the family to Dewey. Fun beach. Lots of cheap eats. Very busy in summer. Personally, we like Rehoboth better. Great food and a little more classy due to the DC and gay influence.

• RE: Is Dewey Beach anyplace to bring a family?

by PittClev Online Now Oct 15, 2006 at 8:39 AM

We went to Dewey Beach. It was an okay place for a family, but I don't think I will do it again. The teenagers were bored, but I gave them a list of activities, and they chose to sleep-in until 1:00 PM every day instead. So I told them they CHOSE to be bored. The beach was nice.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines