Devon Travel Answers

change location

sleeping on Cornwall/Devon beaches - legal & safe?

by jennoli Online Now Jul 18, 2005 at 12:57 PM

Hi,

I plan to visit Cornwall or Devon for a few days in August with a small group of friends. We are on a tight budget and are not considering hotels, cottages and accommodation like that.

Instead, we are wondering if it is safe and legal to sleep on the beaches at night? Has there been much problems with petty thieves or night attacks on beaches? Are tents allowed/necessary?

Hope to hear from anyone who had an open-air camping experience like this.

Many thanks!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • J.I.M's Profile Photo

RE: sleeping on Cornwall/Devon beaches - legal & safe?

by J.I.M Online Now Jul 18, 2005 at 4:59 PM

I'm pretty sure wildcamping is illegal all round the UK, but I'm not sure anyone would really stop you if you tried. I've wildcamped a few times but not on a beach (and not in Cornwall before). I think it's best to find a place that's secluded but without being too far from people or help, should you come into any trouble. In wooded parks or nature reserves it's generally easy to get away with. Generally though, if you're outside in the countryside, there aren't likely to be any people who would cause you problems anyway.
    You could alternatively ask a farmer to camp on his/her land. They might charge a small fee, but it would probably be cheaper than paying for a campsite.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Devon Travel Answer Locations