Detroit Travel Answers

change location
JonPorter's Profile Photo

Belle Isle, Detroit

by JonPorter Online Now Sep 27, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Hello... I got some more questions about Belle Isle, Is it a safe place to visit on the weekends or at night in the summer? What about week days? Do alot of shady people hang out on the island?, like thugs, homeless people & drug addicts? Is there a certain area of the island that is best to avoid? Is there public pay phones by the Jefferson Ave. E. & Grand Blvd. E. area or on the island?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • bilgeez's Profile Photo

Re: Belle Isle, Detroit

by bilgeez Online Now Nov 15, 2009 at 9:30 AM

I wouldn´t go there at night at any time of the year. During the day it´s OK, but I wouldn´t go near the woods on the north end, it´s somewhat isolated and who knows who is hanging out there. Not many street people bother to go to Belle Isle because they have to walk over the bridge and that is too much of a hassle. I´ve never been bothered by beggars there, but I would watch out for gangstas. There may be pay phones on the island, but I doubt they work, they usually are vandalized and not repaired very quickly, if at all. Payphones have pretty much disappeared in the Detroit area for that reason, plus almost everyone has a cell phone nowadays. There are some restaurants and strip malls near the MacArthur Bridge on the City side that may have pay phones. What do you need to know that for? Don´t you have a cell phone? Or are you doing something illegal and don´t want to leave an easily tracable trail?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines