Detroit Travel Answers

change location

University District?

by asap52480 Online Now Nov 10, 2007 at 7:25 PM

I've seen some beautiful old houses for sale in that neighborhood. I was wondering if anyone out there knows specifics about it. How safe is it? Do roads get plowed in the winter? What is the condition of the houses? Why are there so many for sale/ why are people leaving? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • dtownkitty's Profile Photo

Re: University District?

by dtownkitty Online Now Nov 13, 2007 at 7:23 AM

You are referring to the Woodbridge district. The neighborhood is filled with a lot of students and some artsy types. People ride their bikes and stuff around there and I consider it safe. There are a lot of nicely restored homes and condo's in cool old apartment buildings and also homes still available to be restored at a bargain price. The homes are mostly from the Victorian Era so you can expect the typical problems that come with an old home.

As far as why a lot of homes are for sale, that is a reflection of the region. Woodbridge is one of the most stable neighborhoods in the city and will stay that way because of its proximity to the university.

Also, there is a lot of new development in the area so I'm sure there is a surplus right now. Some of the new homes may have a tax abatement. If you want a new home in that area you should check out some of the condo's as well as the Woodbridge Estates developement.

Detroit, of course, doesn't have the best city services, but as close as you are to the University, Hospital, etc., you should be in better shape than outlying parts of the city.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines