Derbyshire Travel Answers

change location
doofus's Profile Photo

Grindleford

by doofus Online Now May 3, 2008 at 3:30 AM

Hi,

I have seen a nice cottage in Grindleford for rent. I was wondering if anyone has had any personal experiences of Gridleford. Things like pubs, transport good places to eat and some good walks etc.

many thanks

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • ExParisian's Profile Photo

Re: Grindleford

by ExParisian Online Now May 3, 2008 at 3:56 AM

Well, you've chosen well, Grindleford is a small place, nothing special but beautifully located, great place, the whole of the Peak District (a great national park -the oldest one and possibly the best one, after the Lakes) is on your doorstep, a brilliant area, especially for walks, scenic drives, viewpoints (Monsal Head), not to mention the pubs... With Sheffield (say, the Botanical Gardens area) only 20 minutes away from Grindleford.
    The Ordnance Survey Leisure guidebooks are excellent, get the one on the Peak District.

EXTREMELY busy at weekends (it is the 2nd most visited national park in the world) but during the week, hardly anyone goes there in comparison.

Try to do 1 or 2 walks at the weekend, and the rest of the time sightseeing and walks (not many people walk at the weekend, however, tons of visitors, pubs are packed and can get very irritating), as you will have problems to park your car in the villages, esp the honeypot places (Bakewell, Hathersage, etc.) and it won't be pleasant anyway. In fact, use the sunday to visit Sheffield. Have a beer (and meal if you want) at the Fat Cat, there aren't many pubs like that left in England.

I remember loving the café at Grindleford (the old train station), not a gourmet place at all but an original ramshackle sort of café (plenty of charm), very popular at week-ends -you can barely park the car there (was sold circa 2000 for a not so ramshackle £1.5m) but you should be OK as you can walk there. Lots of walks to do from Grindleford itself.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • suvanki's Profile Photo

by suvanki Online Now May 3, 2008 at 4:48 PM

Hi, yes Grindleford is a nice place to stay - I used to go there most weekends to stay at my ex- in laws caravan.
    Pubs - Sir William (pub, restaurant and rooms) and Maynard Arms-(Restaurant and Hotel as well as bar)Grindleford Station cafe is a legend!

Trains to Sheffield 7 miles away and Manchester.
    Buses pass through too.

Nearby villages of Eyam (The Plague Village) Calver, Hathersage- (Scotsmans Pack is one of my favourite places to eat - though I've not been there for a while) are within walking distance, also Padley Gorge, Froggatt, Stanage and Curbar Edges, Foxhouse/Longshaw Estate - the visitors centre has a cafe and gift shop.
    Also Castleton - caverns and shops/pubs/cafes, Bakewell - Market Town, Chatsworth etc.
    For more info on things to do, transport etc:-
    visitpeakdistrict.com/html/c...
    Please feel free to contact me for more info.
    Have a Great trip!
    Best Wishes,
    Sue

• doofus's Profile Photo

by doofus Online Now May 4, 2008 at 2:18 AM

Sue and exparisian,

Many thanks indeed for your reply. Any ideas what the Barrel Inn Pub is like-- I notice that is walkable from Grindleford. We will be staying late September, so hopefully it all may have calmed down by then. I like the idea of the village still having a railway station! So important that in my view.

I really hope we enjoy the area-- as I am sure we will. My wife and I are actually looking for an area to 'relocate' so to speak. Both in our early sixties. Want to sell our home and then take out a long term rental, say, 2 bedroom cottage or similar. Budget £500-550 a month. Do you think that is realistic for around that area. Unfurnished.

We would like a village/small town type of place. No 'boy racers' please! A weekly market, railway station and nearish to a hospital or easilly accessible to one. For my wife's work and my follow treatments.

Any ideas Sue? Would welcome any help you could offer.

Many thanks in advance!

pete

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now May 4, 2008 at 2:24 AM

We were in the Peak last week - weekdays in April were as busy as the weekends and we had a real problem parking in Bakewell on a Monday. The area is so compact - you do not have to travel far to get anywhere and so scenic. I agree with all the comments on Grindleford - its a good choice.

by suvanki Online Now May 4, 2008 at 5:19 AM

Hello Pete! I've not been to The Barrel Inn, but it sounds very nice from its' write up.

derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.u... - for a short walk (less than 4 miles)

Visit or contact these Tourist Info offices for useful leaflets with walks in the area.

Old Market Hall
    Bridge Street
    Bakewell
    DE4 1DS
    Tel: (01629) 813227 / 816593
    Fax: (01629) 814782
    Email: bakewell@peakdistrict-npa.gov.uk

Castleton Tourist Information Centre
    Castleton
    Tel. 01629-816572

If you go to Bakewell, you must try a Bakewell Pudding. There are some nice cafes/ tea rooms. I enjoyed the Austrian cafe - Tiroler Stubol- with its tasty sausages. See my Bakewell page for more details.
    Near Grindleford is the Longshaw Visitors centre - National Trust Cafe and Gift shop. Also the Fox House pub - I've not eaten there for a while though.
    I've heard good reports about 'The Millstone' which is at the Sheffield end of Hathersage,on the bend in the road, after dropping down from Surprise View

Your price range for rental seems reasonable. There are many properties to let around the area.

The Sheffield Morning Telegraph has a weekly property guide, which covers some of Derbyshire, or 'Google' Estate agents in Sheffield/ Derbyshire to get an idea of what's on offer. (Eaden Lockwood and Riddle, Blundells, Saxton Mee and Halifax Estate Agents are probably the largest companies)

Dore, is on the outskirts of Sheffield, and has a train station - no market, but buses run to Bakewell, which is well known for its weekly Cattle market.
    A bus runs directly from Dore to the Royal Hallamshire Hospital.

Buses also run to Castleton from Sheffield.

Dronfield also has a train station.

Grindleford, Hope, Hathersage and Edale, are on the Sheffield - Manchester route, so again handy for the Royal Hallamshire hospital. The Northern General is a bit further away, but buses run from near the station to there.

As you probably know, Sheffield expands into the Peak National Park, so there are some nice villages to the north of the city. Bradfield, Grenoside, Oughtibridge for example.

Sheffield market is a bit of a disappointment I'm afraid, but there are regular 'European markets' held here, also a monthly Farmers market.

I've recently 'discovered' Barnsley - it's surprisingly rural, and there are some nice villages such as Wentworth, which is near to Elsecar, which has a train station- Leeds/ Huddersfield - Sheffield line.

I suppose you have to weigh up the pro's and cons - some of the more popular villages/ towns will be busy with tourists at weekends, and some of the smaller villages, may have fewer ammenities - reduced bus services, post office closures etc.

I hope this gives you a bit of an idea.
    Please feel free to e-mail me for further info.
    Best Wishes,
    Sue

• ExParisian's Profile Photo

by ExParisian Online Now May 4, 2008 at 6:19 AM

Not sure about rentals there, but I'd imagine it won't be cheap, for many reasons (very sought after, national park, pretty, close to Sheffield, etc.). However, if you're used to London prices, it may sound affordable to you. It certainly is a lovely area to settle in, close to the western and south western end of Sheffield (which is very green and pleasant) and not too out in teh sticks.
    Check on the rightmove site, visit a few estate agents when youre there.

There are dozens of attractive pubs within 20 miles, dont worry. You metion the Barrel Inn (above Bretton -a hamlet), you're right, superb views (over 4 counties I was told if I remember well although I've never quite worked it all out, but never mind, the view are second to none). Feasible from Grindleford, must be a good 4/5 hours I'd have thought, and that's if you know where you're going!(and do not stop at every pub along the way as I do).
    I used to use the Bartholomew Walk Guides, but I did not walk around Grindleford much, more to the south (Manifold Valley) and round Bakewell, Castleton, Ashford, etc.

peakdistrictonline.co.uk/acc...

Not sure about Barnsley though, I only went there one (town centre) but it looked grim and neglected, certainly not attractive at all (apart from the imposing Town Hall). However, the surrounding area (Langdale reservoir, Bradfield, Penistone, Holmfirth, etc) is lovely

• henry14's Profile Photo

by henry14 Online Now May 4, 2008 at 2:32 PM

hi,

You can also use the following site to research rental prices in the area you're thinking about: www.rightmove.co.uk

by suvanki Online Now May 4, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Hi, should have mentioned that Wentworth and Elsecar are in Rotherham borough, not Barnsley Ooops!- Yes Barnsley Centre isn't that attractive, but there are some nice villages around -

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Derbyshire Travel Answer Locations