Derbyshire Travel Answers

change location
emilesc's Profile Photo

London to Ashby-de-la-Zouch

by emilesc Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 1:13 PM

I'm pretty sure this is going to be impossible, but I want to ask someone familiar with the area - one of my favorite musicians is performing in Ashby-de-la-Zouch on Sept 22. Thing is I'm flying back to the States from London on the morning of the 23rd. Will it be possible to catch this concert and catch a train or bus back to London that night so I don't miss my flight?

Like I said, this seems impossible, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: London to Ashby-de-la-Zouch

by leics Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 2:17 PM

Need to know what time the concert ends, which London airport and what time you have to check-in.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • emilesc's Profile Photo

by emilesc Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Thanks for replying. The concert starts at 8. I can't imagine it going longer than 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Heathrow, flight leaves at 11:30, so I need to be there by 8:30.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 2:28 PM

Ok.........am researching........

by emilesc Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 2:40 PM

That's very nice of you! If it makes any difference, the concert is at Conkers.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 2:41 PM

Hm.....depends how keen you are, and how much money you've got.....

Last train from Burton-on-Trent (9 miles, nearest station) goes at 23.44, but you'd need to a) pay for a taxi to Burton and b) be prepared to sit on Derby station for about 4 hours (onward train goes at 5am, arrives 7.05).

Still researching (but won't be a cheap option).....

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Have checked, and that's really the only option; last trains go from places like Leicester/Tamworth/Nuneaton even earlier. Second-to-last train from Burton is at 21.40 (arrives 00.09), so you'd miss half the concert getting to the station.

www.nationalrail.co.uk for the timetables/fares. You'd have to get a taxi quote online/ by phone, but Conkers is a little bit nearer to Burton than Ashby itself (it's in a village called Moira).

Both Ashby and Conkers are in Leicestershire, btw; the Derbyshire address is a blip in the Royal Mail sorting system (like Bosworth Battlefield, in Leics also but postal address is Warwickshire).

Anyway, looks like a chilly 5 hours on Derby station if you really, really want to go..........and then a bit of a rush to get to Heathrow (suggest you fork out to get the Heathrow Express).

No coache options, btw; last ones go around 6/7pm

by emilesc Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 3:08 PM

Yikes! I think I'll have to catch him on the next trip. Thank you so much for all the research!

• Re: London to Ashby-de-la-Zouch

by edalerichard Online Now Jul 30, 2007 at 3:40 AM

A quick look , brings up buses from Coalville to leicester (22nd)at 22.02 arr 22.59, or 22.40 ar 00.05. Coalville is about 5 miles from Ashby.
    National express run buses from leicester to heathrow (23rd) at, 00.15-arr 2.30,and 02.45-arr 05.00.
    www.transportdirect Seems a good journey planner

• Re: London to Ashby-de-la-Zouch

by edalerichard Online Now Jul 30, 2007 at 4:15 AM

theres also a fare of £1 on the 4.25am, or 5.25 bus to london , arr Central London 7.20,or 8.10.These are National Express"funfares"

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Aug 1, 2007 at 10:35 AM

Transportdirect is indeed a good journey planner. The last bus from Coalville to Leicester on a Friday is at 22.40. To catch it, you'd need to pre-book a taxi from 'Conkers' (which is not in Coalville) and leave around 2210/20 ish, to be certain (allowing for taxi being late/bus being early etc etc), so you'll miss some of the gig anyway. I'm not entirely sure I'd recommend hanging around Coalville at that time on a Friday night either (sorry if I offend anyone from Coalville).....

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Derbyshire Travel Answer Locations