Derbyshire Travel Answers

change location

RE: Peak District - Transport & Accommodation help!

by MTD888 Online Now Mar 24, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Peak District - transport & accom help!

Hi Everyone,

My friend and I would like to go away to the Peak District for the Easter weekend coming up (last minute thing).

There are 2 things I need help with..

First is Transport. We don't know if we should catch a train up on the Good Friday 6 April to Manchester, and then hir a car from Manchester and drive to the Peak District (assuming car hire places are open on Good Friday?). Or simply just drive to the Peak District from London. Does anyone know how long it would take to drive straight there? Or should we catch a train to Manchester first? Any thoughts?

Second part its accommodation. I've looked at so many websites, but I still have no idea where to stay (or which town to stay in). Ideally, I'd like to stay in a small country town that is close to some sight seeing destinations. I'm a 'scenic' type of person and would like to visit some old English estates while I'm there and would also like to explore a bit of the country side (walking if weather permitting). My budget is around £30 per person per night and I'm thinking B&B's might be the best option. Could you suggest a nice town? and / or a nice B&B we could stay in? Or any other accommodation options for around the same price?

Any advice / thoughts / guidance would be much appreciated!!!

Many thanks,
M.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Re: RE: Peak District - Transport & Accommodation help!

by colin_bramso Online Now Mar 25, 2007 at 2:10 AM

Hi, welcome to VT.
    We all have our favourites of course, but I like Bakewell. Beautiful little town and well located for the other things you want to do. You should be able to get B&B for around that budget, although it'll be busy at Easter.
    If you click on my name you'll go to my travel pages, then follow the links - I have some info on the area there. Also use the search panel to check out other VT members' pages.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Mar 25, 2007 at 2:38 PM

A cheaper train option would probably be Midland Mainline to Derby from St Pancras and then a local train in to the Peak District on the Derby to Matlock line. I quite like Matlock but it is a bit touristy but very scenic and there is a lot of B&B accommodation there. The bus services are reasonable too from the town. I would not hire a car unless you really want to.
    If you want any more help just ask the regulars here.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

by Sjalen Online Now Mar 25, 2007 at 3:02 PM

I too like Bakewell. But if you want to be out in the real countryside with fells and moorland you could try Castleton with its caves.

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Mar 25, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Yes Castleton is a good idea - we stayed there recently and it is a very scenic area. The town is interesting too.
    Have a look at cressbrook.co.uk/scripts/vis...

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 26, 2007 at 12:32 AM

Train times and fares on www.nationalrail.co.uk

Easter is likely to be fairly busy, so it is worth thinking about accommodation in advance if you want a wider choice. B&bs seem the most sensible option. Lots of ideas here:
    peakdistrict-nationalpark.co...

Although not essential, a car does help one to visit more of the rural parts of England so may well be worth considering for your Peak District stay. Don't drive from (or in) London but perhaps consider hiring from wherever you end up on the train (Derby?). Car hire is tightly regulated so you do not need to worry about only using large firms; google for potentials when you know which town/city you will start from, then make your booking online. Good Friday is a 'normal' trading day, mostly, but the majority of businesses will be closed on Easter Monday (public transport will have different timetables on that day too).

• chrisisclub's Profile Photo

by chrisisclub Online Now Apr 2, 2007 at 1:13 PM

I work in Matlock. It is a good base for the southern Peak District with good bus and train services to and from Derby. The train station stop before Matlock, Matlock Bath, is scenic and touristy (worth a google for attractions). Matlock has a restored train link to Rowsley (about 5 or so miles north). Rowsley is about 4 miles from Chatsworth... you would need a taxi or maybe a bus to transfer.

Matlock is also handy for bus travel to Bakewell and Buxton.

Basically, Bakewell is a bit more expensive than Matlock - and smaller. It is a nice market town.

Buxton is very, very scenic - soemwhere between the other 2 places in size. Buxton is handier for more extreme walking. Buxton is on a rail link to Manchester - not to Derby.

For me, I would opt for Buxton... or Matlock... or Bakewell, in that order.

hope that helps

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Derbyshire Travel Answer Locations