Derby Travel Answers

change location

what can I do and see in derby?

by baxterrr Online Now Mar 7, 2010 at 3:59 AM

Im'm staying there 1 afternoon and 2 nights and I'm looking for castels, parks, pubs, places to go by night.. (please no links)
not farer than 1 km from the centre of derby, because I have to go by foot!
thank you! ciao!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: what can I do and see in derby?

by leics Online Now Mar 7, 2010 at 4:08 AM

Why no links?

Have a look at the Derby VT pages (use the searchbox top right of the page). You'll find info there from Vt locals and members.

I've been to Derby more than once. It is a typical small English town.

There are no castles with 1km walking distance.

As you do not want links I cannot point you to the official Derby tourist ionformation site, which lists all attractions etc both in the city and nearby.

You can visit the cathedral (dating from the fourteenth century, and connected to a Medieval chapel on a bridge), or the art gallery, or Pickford's Museum, or Derby Gaol.

Thee are also several parks within walking distance. I could provide you with a link to maps etc....

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Mar 7, 2010 at 4:09 AM

There's a very nice museum in the city centre if it is wet - I visited last September and it was very wet! There is also a good pub near the railway station where they make there own beer, but I cannot remember the name of it.

There's also the Silk Mill, The Royal Crown Derby Museum and the Cathedral.

Details about al of these are easily found on the various websites.

There are a number nice old buildings in the city, including the 16th century Dolphin pub, and a pleasant riverside walk, but I am sorry to say that much of the city is concrete and glass.

• Re: what can I do and see in derby?

by Cassiebunting Online Now Apr 9, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Hi. I have lived in Derby most of my life (apart from when I travelled...) and there is loads of wonderful stuff to do .....
    If you want some nice bars then head to Friargate. There are many independently owned bars and restaurants that are the higher end of the market with great food and excellent atmosphere.
    If you want old buildings / museums etc then there is either Derby Museum which is at the bottom of Friargate which exhibits Derby history....ie the Strutts & Arkwrights cotton mills, Flamstead the first Astronomer Royal, Royal Crown Derby etc etc.
    Also at the other end of Friargate there is a little known museum called Pickford House which is a Georgian house that depicts life in that era. It's free and a quick, fun & interesting way to spend an hour or so.
    If you want history then head to the Cathedral. It is the second highest tower in the UK and the shops and cafes around are independent and value for money.
    If you want to go shopping then there is the Westfield Centre in the centre of town which is like every other shopping centre...M&S, BHS, H&M, etc etc
    If you like Real Ale then there are loads of pubs....I think there is an evening trip that you can go on that takes you round all the best pubs. However, I don't know the name so you will have to research online.
    However, for a unique experience in Derby you should check out the Ghost Tour. This involves going round all the old pubs and experiencing the paranormal and a few pints as well......
    Derby is classed as a city but it is really a big town so wherever you want to go it's not far away and within walking distance.
    Enjoy your time in Derby.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 10, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Welcome to Vt, 'cassie'!

You might not have noticed that this thread dates from 20120, so the poster has long been to ?Derby and gone away again!

But your post is full of useful and interesting information. Do please make some Derby tips on the VT Derby pages...it's very easy and people will be able to benefit from your local knowledge.

Just go to 'my home' at the top of this page then click 'travel pages'. Add 'Derby' as a location and follow the easy instructions.

If you need any help just send me a VTmail..click my username and then the 'send message' link under the small photo.

I'll look forward to seeing your Derby tips! :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines