Derby Travel Answers

change location
ka5637's Profile Photo

Student life in Derby

by ka5637 Online Now Sep 2, 2004 at 12:40 PM

My sister has just been offered a position at the university of Derby. Could anyone give me any first-hand information on the city and the University? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Britannia2's Profile Photo

Re: Student life in Derby

by Britannia2 Online Now Sep 4, 2004 at 4:20 PM

I have not been to Derby for three or four years but it was a very ordinary town. That is not to say it is not a good place to live or study but it has no great buildings or many places of interest. The shopping centre was OK but just a mirror of every other medium size English city. It does have great countryside around it though and a short train ride will take you to some wonderful scenery and beautiful villages and towns in the Peak District. Sorry this seems a little bland but the town is OK but not say a Nottingham or a Lincoln.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • LizD's Profile Photo

Re: Student life in Derby

by LizD Online Now Oct 15, 2004 at 9:03 AM

I moved to Derbyshire a couple of years ago from Sheffield, and I think it is a terrific place to live. Although Sheffield is a much larger City than Derby (and Derby is a City) I think the city centre is far better. There is a good selection of high Street shops and an indoor Centre Called the Eagle Centre. I understand this is to be extended in the near future to make a huge shopping area. If you want to visit the larger cities, Sheffield, Nottingham, and Meadowhall are within 30 - an hours drive away. As for the night life, there is a good selection of Restaurants, there is even a new Damons on the outskirts which is a terrific diner. There are lots of pubs and clubs and I know of a lot of young Sheffield People who have travelled down for a night out even though their own night life is good. There are also good train, bus and coach services there if she is wanting to travel home. There is great countryside which is easy to get to and a few entertaining extras like, Matlock Bath & American Adventure theme park. Can't tell you about the university but the City itself certainly has plenty to offer for young people. Best Wishes Liz

• kingVafa's Profile Photo

RE: Student life in Derby

by kingVafa Online Now Oct 15, 2006 at 6:47 AM

i am doing my Msc in derby uni and i m living here for about 3-4 years
    mayeb its a bit late respond to you but you can email me on msn if you like.
    kingvafa at hotmail dot com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines